Chapter 1 - A Suspicious Comeback

It was a calm, beautiful summer day. Well, at least it seemed like it to most people. For a certain blue hedgehog things were a little more agitated.

"Hey, Eggman, giving up already?"

"Hah! Keep wishing so, my little friend!"

Sonic chased the hovercraft through a sandy field, at fast pace. Doctor Eggman was losing distance to him, and so he started to launch small rockets at Sonic, who easily dodged them and started running even faster. After reaching the Egg Mobile and running side by side with it, he turned and started to run backwards, without slowing down.

"So...?" he said to the him, arms wide.

"So what?" - the doctor was clearly annoyed, but showed no less determination or courage than before.

"So now that I proved I'm faster than your new Egg Mobile model or whatever name you gave it, slow down a bit. How many of these have you made already? You can't outrun me and you know tha..."

Sonic felt something hard and big slapping him. The hedgehog bounced for a few meters faling behind the doctor and started falling into a nearby crack on the ground. He was going to fall into a river some meters below, which would be a relief for most, but Sonic couldn't swim, and that water made everything even worse. It didn't seem like there was anything to do but close his eyes scream for help, until he felt a hand grab his.

"Tails...?" he asked slightly opening his eye.

"Not exactly" Knuckles was holding his hand, but his hand was also being held up. And that was by no one other than Tails.

"Hey Sonic!"

"Tails! Knuckles! Thank you guys!"

"Don't worry, we're here to help if you need!" While saying that, Tails had a big smile in his face. Knuckles smiled as well, but more slightly and quickly returned to his regular, more serious expression knowing Eggman was still out there. Tails safely flied them both to safely and landed on the side of the crack. Knuckles looked around for a moment but couldn't identify the place they were in.

"Where are we?"

"That's Dusty Desert. We've never been here I think. We'd better walk around this side even with the risk of falling. The other one is full of quicksand!" Knuckles started walking and wished he could answer this by himself. Sometimes it seemed like Tails knew everything.

"We've never been here? Funny, I though this place looked familiar..."

"Well, it's a desert, they kind of all look the same I guess... And I'm not always with you, maybe you really have been here by yourself!" Tails answered.

"Maybe... Where are we going now? And also, what hit me before? I didn't get to see it." Sonic wandered as he took a step closer to his best friend.

"We were coming to help you once we noticed you'd left and we saw you chasing Eggman before you fell! You were hit by some sort of mechanical hand in Eggman's mobile, or something of that sort...nothing really out of the ordinary for him. You were just unlucky with the placement of that crack. Well, either that or Eggman calculated really well! As for where to go, I thought of that direction..." Tails pointed his finger to the South. "If we catch a ride on a boat or something like that we can reach Seaside Hill. However, it'll take some time. We'd probably arrive late at night. I'd take us flying but my tails are getting a little sore and..."

"That's okay, Tails" Sonic replied smiling. Tails blushed and smiled wide as well.

Knuckles, who was looking around the place and walking a few meters behind the two, came closer to listen to the conversation.