Chapter 37

"Sean what is that god awful smell?"

"You really don't want to know."

"It smells like the inside of a gym locker room threw up in here?'

"Hey, I had to cover up your scent somehow. Shit, we got company." Sean grabbed something from the seat above my head bringing the stinky pallet on top of me.  He quickly covered me up as he slowed down the car pulling over.  "Not a word."

As the sound of the car window sliding down, fear grappled around my throat and I shoved my fist in my mouth and squeezed my eyes shut.  I prayed silently that whoever was stopping us hadn't figured out that I was huddled on the floor of the backseat of Sean's car.

"I see you are heeding the boss' advice and leaving town." I knew that creepy voice anywhere, Officer Ridley, my slimy neighbor and killer of young boys.  Anger rushed through me at that last thought but I kept my body still to remain undetected.

"I got what came for." Sean sounded nonchalant.  "You pulled me over for that?"

"To make sure you leave with the understanding of not coming back."

Sean laughed, "Are you threatening me?"

"Don't come back." Ridley commanded.

I heard a growling sound and the sound of Sean's door opening.  I wasn't sure if Sean opened the door or Ridley. Straining to try and decipher what was going on.  I almost let out a yelp when something heavy smashed against the hood of the car.  Whatever it was caused the car to shake and I held my breath waiting for the unexpected.  The silence was killing me and before I could peep from under my hideout, the driver side door was yanked back opened.  The car started and unsure if it was Sean or Ridley I stayed quiet.  Music pumped through the speakers and I let out a steady breath.

"Celeste, you can come out." Sean's voice was music to my ears, as I shoved the pallet back onto the seat.

"What happened out there?"

"Aww, nothing just had to show that wolf a little respect."

"Oh my god! For real Sean! I'm dying from suffocation from your stink bomb and you took out the time to teach Ridley who was boss? Are you kidding me! What if he found me out?"

"Dang, Celeste.  Calm down.  He wasn't.  If I had let him talk to me with disrespect and didn't retaliate, he would have suspected something.  No lower caste of wolf can talk to an alpha like that!"  

"It's just an excuse to see who has the bigger balls! Men!"

"Climb up front, we are off their territory.  It's safe." I did as instructed squeezing my body in-between the seats as gracefully as I could.  Yeah not!

"So where are we meeting up with Colin?"

"Neutral zone. Couldn't head in the direction of Colin's place because it would have caused some suspicions.  We should be there in about fifteen minutes. Listen to me Celeste, last chance.  I will keep driving if all this is too much."

The thought of seeing Colin again was too great for me to ignore.  "I can't Sean.  I need to see where this will take me."

"Open the glove compartment and get one of those cards.  It has my phone number on it.  If you ever need me or if Colin acts like a dick.  I'm sure he will. You call me and I will come running." I leaned over giving Sean a quick peck on the cheek.

"Thanks for everything! Especially saving me from Todd." I put his card inside of my backpack.

"I'm just sorry I didn't get to you sooner.  We're here."