Chapter Five: Dreams

     "What the fuck is this?" Alpha growled, seizing me by the collar of my rumpled dress.

     My feet left the ground for a split moment, my body flinging forward as he tugged me roughly. I came crashing down on my toes, rolling over them with a soft crunch. I swallowed down the whimper that threatened to escape. I scrambled to find my footing, feeling the eyes of the council members on me, drinking in the sight of my punishment. The spaghetti I had cooked for the monthly council meeting sat untouched on the table.

     I swallowed hard, "Spaghetti, Alpha."

     A sharp smack flung my head to the side, my cheek stinging from the slap. My eyes were starting to brim with tears, but I knew this was only the beginning of my punishment. I turned my head back to face the table.

     By his grip on my collar, Alpha pulled me down, my face mere inches from the plate of food, "This isn't spaghetti, you stupid girl, this is filth. My council deserves a high-class meal." 

     There were murmurs of agreeance from the council.  

     "I apologize, Alpha. I know better now, sir." My voice was beginning to tremble.

     His mouth was at my ear, "You see, girl, I don't think you know better quite yet." 

     He yanked me upright from the table and before I could process the pain, I was doubled over. The air left my lungs in response to the blow to my stomach. I gasped and retched for air, bracing my hands on the table to stay on my feet. 

     Alpha's hand tangled into the hair at the base of my neck, gripping onto the strands without mercy. He raised his arm, my body following in response to ease the tension on my scalp. I was pulled onto my toes, the tears that I had desperately been holding back now flowed freely down my cheeks. I could feel the individual strands of hair pluck themselves from my scalp from his grip.

     "Was your 'assumption' that spaghetti would be a good meal for my guests correct, pet?" He sneered.

      Still fighting to catch my breath, I swallowed the thick lump forming in my throat from fear, "No, sir, it was not correct." The dreaded words I had to say next were burned into my memory. The words that followed were the ones that haunted my dreams every night. "Therefore, I deserve my punishment, sir." 

     The table came rushing into my view, and before could prepare myself for the pain, my nose crunched against the wood. White-hot pain blossomed across my face, warm blood rushing into my mouth and spilling down my face. I choked on the metallic taste of blood, my vision blurring with tears.  

     I was pulled away from the table, and just as I found my footing, my legs were kicked out from underneath me. My back hit the floor, my arm twisted underneath me. I began to choke on the blood that was pooling in my mouth. I rolled to my stomach, letting the blood run out of my mouth onto the hardwood floor. 

     Alpha's knee pressed into my back, flattening me to the floor. I felt my spine crack under the pressure, my ribs creaking in response to his weight. It became hard to draw in a full breath. 

     The silverware clanked on the table.

     Alpha leaned forward to talk in my ear. "It was so nice of you to set out our fine cutlery." He showed me the knife in his hand, holding it out for me to see. "Do you know what metal this knife is made of?"