0.1

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Jack: Saturday, 3 June
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

He stood me up.

He definitely stood me up.

I mean, I don't really blame him.

But what the hell why do people stand others up!?

I was just about to walk away when I heard my name called and turned to see Sam running down the sidewalk. He was out of breath already, and I shot him a heavy glare as he arrived in front of me. "You sonofa.."

"I know.." he huffed. "I said - " deep inhale " - seven.

"Yeah you did, Sam. I've been waiting here for over an hour. What caught you up?" I was shaking my head slowly as we walked into the bar we were standing outside of.

"Just late at work and then I went to hustle here and realized I didn't have my wallet." Sam replied.

I would have mentioned that I would have paid for him - because I definitely would have - but I didn't really have the cash to buy drinks for anyone but myself. So we pulled ourselves up to the old worn down counter and I ordered a shot of whiskey as Sam ordered a beer.

Sam rambled a bunch to me about things that were happening at work and I didn't say much to him as he did to me. But then he asked a question that practically made me choke. "Whatever happened with that guy who talked to you at work?"

"What guy?" I pondered. "I talk to a lot of people."

"Uh.. Mark?" He replied and I felt myself become a bit more sullen. Ever since my interaction with Mark, I stayed far away from him. I was having a hard time avoiding him though.

"There's nothing left between us," I said. "There's nothing there."

Sam didn't look too happy about it, "Jack, are you —"

"I'm not having this conversation." My voice was beginning to sound harsh and aggressive and my tone was enough for Sam to reside on the topic.

We traveled home eventually, and I was not all surprised to find that it smelt wretched. I glanced over to the couch to see two guys sitting and playing video games, part of me was sure they were smoking.

Ethan turned his head to us and smiled. "Hey guys."

"Hey." Sam replied.

"How's it going?" I responded.

"Good." Ethan answered.

"Tyler?" I asked.

"Good." He also responded.

"Waste of my fuckin' time.." I grumbled quietly as I walked through the house. Sam settled between the two, and surprisingly looked small even next to Ethan.

I retreated to my room to avoid contact high, and when I pulled out my aged laptop, I noticed something peculiar.

Upon my FaceBook page was a little red bubble over messages. I got messages sent to me sometimes, normally just asking for something of another "brand" but nothing of much importance.

Opening it up, I saw Mark Fischbach's profile on the page. Opening the message I read,

Mark: hey Jack

Mark: you can't ignore me forever, you know

I rolled my eyes and replied.

Jack: you can't keep bothering me forever, you know.

Despite the message being from a couple of hours ago, Mark replied almost instantly. But my attention was quickly pulled from Mark and to the ding of my email. My email usually just sent me "forget your password?" emails — because I did forget my passwords. So, in essence, the ding surprised me.

It was from an unknown sender, and I read the message carefully.

Mr. McLoughlin,

I noticed your appearance in my bar tonight, and I also noticed how you ordered the cheapest drink. From what I know, people rarely like the cheapest alcohol. So I hope I'm right in assuming you're tight for money.

After your departure, I noticed some of my.. patrons.. taking careful note of you and were saddened by your absence. Therefore, I wish to offer you potentially better employment opportunity. If you are indeed interested, I would like to hear back from you in the nearby future so we can plan to meet.

Sincere,

Mr. Jameson

I blinked a few times. What did he want me to do, be a bartender? I didn't have the training for that.

I responded to the email, simply:

What kind of work?

And I got a response almost immediately.

Well it depends, sir, on what kind of work you're willing to do and how much you'd like to be paid. Would you be at all enthralled with the idea of a meeting?

I thought about it carefully.

Yes.

Excellent, sir, we can meet at 3 tomorrow afternoon before my bar opens.

And I left it at that. I thought about I carefully before returning to Facebook to see several messages from Mark.

Mark: come on, it would do me the least bit of happiness if you could hear me out.

Mark: I don't see why you're being so difficult about this.

Mark: what does it matter? I know what you did and I'm looking past it.

Mark: unless it's not about you, is it about me?

Mark: about what I did?

Mark: I just want the chance to make it right.

Jack: why are you fighting so much?

Mark: why are you? The least you could do is give me a chance.

I didn't answer at this point, I was sick of seeing Mark's name across my screen. All it did was supply repressed memories and make me feel physically ill at my choices.

I closed my computer and headed downstairs. They appeared to be having a good time and upon seeing me, Sam walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Hi Jack," he giggled. Someone had been filling him with more alcohol. It didn't take much for Sam to get drunk though, I knew that.

"Has he been drinking?" I called over.

"Think so." Ethan replied, probably stoned out of his mind. Imagine the money they would have if they stopped spending it on weed.

Sam giggled more and continuously tried to kiss me. He didn't mean anything besides it but for fun, but I didn't like any of this while he was drunk if I even liked it at all.

"C'mon Sam." I sighed as I pushed back on him. He pouted at me but I didn't let it sway me. I had so much on my mind and yet, my life had so little sustenance. It was the same day in and day out.

It was a terminal cycle.

AN:

Oh wowowowow.

Hey everyone! If you're reading this, you've probably read The Flirt, one of my older and more popular books.

So I really hope you enjoy it, about.. one or two years has passed since I finished the Flirt so I can say my writing has changed a bit.

But either way, I hope you all enjoy the adventure we are about to embark on.

Rinny