Chapter 3

Miku couldn't believe it.

The love of her life, who she had thought was dead, had just reawakened with no memories but her. It sounded like something out of a fairytale.

"So, you don't remember them, either..." Miku commented, more to herself than Luka.

As a scientist, she couldn't help but to cup her chin and get lost in possibilities. Had her memory module somehow been damaged during repair?

"No," Luka said sadly, extracting Miku from her thoughts, "I'm sorry..."

"No," Miku said quickly, "don't apologize. It's not your fault."

Luka looked down, making Miku's heart wrench.

"Anyway, I have to make a phone call." She said. It was true, but the main reason that she wanted to make the call was to give herself a distraction from both her and Luka's inner turmoil from what she had just learned. She turned away from Luka, reaching into her lab coat and pulling out her cell phone, which was much outdated for the time. She navigated to her contacts and dialed the one labelled 'Master'. Surprisingly, he answered.

"Hello, Miku, it's nice to hear from you." He said, his voice tinted with a hint of sleepiness.

"It's nice to hear from you, too. Is now a bad time?" She asked, picking up the sleepiness.

He chuckled. "No, no. It's just hard looking after Rin and Len. You know how that is."

Miku laughed. "Yeah, I do."

"So, are you doing okay?" Master asked.

His words, to anyone else, would have been completely normal. But, she knew the real meaning behind them, what he was really asking. He was asking if one of her inventions had actually worked out, if the burden of repairing Luka with no support but her own had finally driven her to insanity.

"Yes, I'm fine. Better than that, actually." She replied, a smile on her face.

"Oh? Is the Megurine Luka V4x project complete?!"

"Even better."

"Hmm?"

"Master... Luka is awake."