03

The sun rose over the shimmering buildings. Helicopters flew over the city for the morning shows, the sparkling rays of sun reflecting off of the glass windows, car horns sounded and the smell of petrol and damp soil filled the brisk air. After years of living in New York, the morning sun never ceased to amaze Tony Stark.

But today, wasn't like every other day.

He sat by a wall of windows on one of the many business couches. His head was buried in his hands, as he thought non-stop about the current problem. With a sigh, he lifted his head and looked sullenly out the windows. Everything seemed to be working the same - everyone was so oblivious. Tony blanched suddenly - why did he care?

But Peter had been missing for . . . 27 hours now. Wait - he was counting? Tony shook his head, trying to clear up his thoughts.

"Tony?" He heard Natasha call from across the lounge. He spun around and saw she stood at the door, a concerned expression on her face. "You can't stay by yourself forever, you know?"

Tony nodded and casted his gaze down to his feet, confused. Natasha walked across the room, the soft 'clop clop' of her heals against the floor becoming the only noise. She sat down opposite him on an uncomfortable armchair. 

"What the heck's been up with you lately?" She asked.

"Uh, nothing, really. Just - you know - thinking about things. Figuring things out." He murmured.

"Ok, that's not at all convincing." Natasha said, sounding dreadfully bored.

"Um . . . ok, Peter's been missing for a day. No one knows his whereabouts." Tony confessed.

"Peter? Who's Peter?" Natasha asked vaguely.

Tony glared at her and rolled his eyes. "Peter Parker . . .? You know, Spider-Man?"

"Oh." Natasha said, still looking slightly confused. "The-the guy who dresses up in those red tights cause of some radioactive spider?" 

"Yes." Tony said, annoyed. "That guy - and I made that suit." He added, slightly offended.

Natasha smirked but Tony didn't join in.

"It's ok. He'll turn up - remember when Bruce disappeared for two years and then just showed up out of nowhere?" Natasha reminded him and Tony nodded.

"It's different, though." Tony whispered, punching his fist into his palm. "Bruce is an adult, he can do what he wants and he knows how to keep himself safe. But, Peter? He's just a kid. I mean, what is he? Fourteen? Fifteen?" Tony rubbed his hands over his face tiredly.

"Hey, we'll find him." Natasha comforted him.

"Yeah . . . it's just the state in which we find him is what I'm worried about."

---

Peter was doused in sweat and shaking. His suit was burnt through around his wrists and his skin was scabbed and burnt raw. Every twenty minutes, a pulse of electricity ran through the vibranium, causing his body to jerk and convulse, as he got electrocuted. 

He had lost track of how long the pulses had been coursing through him, but he estimated about three hours. He was terrified. These people - they were dangerous and Peter was the only one who knew about them. If only he could put his mask back on, he called call Tony. 

But his mask lay a few metres in front of where he - now - lay, well out of his reach. With a tired groan, Peter aimlessly stretched out his arm, reaching with all the strength he had left, but the item was impossible to get to. He collapsed again, his cheek pressed against the cool of the cement floor. He took a few steadying breaths, but he felt tears come to his eyes.