20

May had never driven so fast.

Peter had come screaming down from his bedroom into the kitchen, Michelle in tow. His face was alight with excitement and delight and everything nice, Michelle was smiling.

"What? What?" She had repeated when neither answered.

"We gotta get to the hospital. Like, now." His smiled grew even brighter, if that was even possible.

"Why? What's-" Peter was dragging her from her seat on the couch by her arm, "going on?" She directed the question at MJ.

"Peter will explain in the car, I'm sure." Michelle rolled her eyes, as Peter practically bounced down the hallway that lead to the front door.

"Woah, woah, woah, let me gather my bearings!" May protested.

"Your car keys, you mean?" Peter replied, biting his lip in anticipation and impatience.

Once she had retrieved her things, still completely unaware of anything that was happening, Peter ushered them all into the car, Michelle included.

"Shouldn't we drop Michelle off at her house, first-?"

"Nope. Just drive." Peter interrupted, and Michelle cast May a quick nod of approval.

They arrived at the hospital in record time.

Peter walked as fast as he could through the lobby to the front desk, May hurrying along behind and Michelle stopping to read a few signs absently. Maybe it was the public that made her shut off a bit. Peter wasn't sure, but he couldn't focus on that now.

"Um, hi? I'm-" Peter began, smiling innocently at the desk-lady, who looked through her half-moon glasses at him.

"Mr Parker?"

Peter nodded. "That's right."

"Follow me, sir." She replied, breaking into a smile. The sort of smile pre-school teachers wore when giving out stickers to all the good little five-year-old's. Huh, maybe that's saying something.

"O-okay." Peter mumbled, as he nearly tripped over his own feet in haste. May caught up and wrapped an arm through Peter's to steady him.

"What room?" She whispered to Peter.

"I dunno, that's why we're following the lady!" Peter exclaimed, still not able to wipe the smile off his face.

They went to the top floor in the escalator – no surprises there – and turned into a corridor labelled 'Private Clinic'. In other words; 'Expensive Rooms'. There were lots of windows up here and Peter must admit that the view was incredible.

The walked all the way down, to the last door.

Number 1.

"Now, I must ask that only Mr Parker enters. I don't want to overcrowd the room." The desk-lady stated, and May nodded.

Then she opened the door, and Peter stepped in.

He could already feel the smile freezing on his face, as his eyes took it all in. All other noises, including that of the heart monitor, beating away steadily, seemed to drown out into one long whoosh. His eyes were trained on the body in the bed, everything else was blurry and non-existent.

"Mr Stark?" He whispered.

He staggered to the bedside, collapsing into the mahogany chair that was placed there. Without even thinking, he swept up Tony's hand, being careful not to disturb the IV.