Episode 2 - Bikes In The Rain

I sat on Nancy's bed, quizzing her for her test tomorrow. I sighed, setting down the cards after she got them all correct for the third time. "Nancy, I really don't know why you're stressing," I told her in amusement. "You're getting all the terms correct!"

"But what if I don't tomorrow?" Nancy pressed, playing with her hair nervously. I've known her since I was in eighth grade, and she still got really anxious over tests. Her and Barb were the only other people who knew about my love of theatre besides Callahan, Powell, and Flo. "I can't mess this test up!"

"Nancy, trust me, you'll do great," I said truthfully. Besides, I have to be back at my place by ten tonight. You know how long pictures take to capture." Nancy sighed in defeat and slumped against her pillows.

"Fine," she relented. "Just be at school early tomorrow so you and Barb can quiz me there." I nodded, giving her a quick hug to say goodbye before I grabbed my backpack. I was just about to go downstairs when I heard someone call my name quietly.

"Rachel," it repeated again. I knew that voice anywhere. I poked my head into Mike's room, where he sitting on his bed, holding a walkie-talkie in his hand. "Can I trust you?" he asked me quietly, giving a glance at the doorway I just came through.

"Yeah, sure," I said quietly back, not understanding his quiet tone. "What's up?" Mike bit his lip, obviously wanting to tell me something. ""Mike, what is it?" I repeated.

"Will," he finally said, looking at me. The stare he was giving me made me want to melt. Something was bothering him, and he trusted me enough to tell me. "Lucas, Dustin, and I are going to look for him."

"Didn't my dad say for you to stay home?" I asked, remembering my conversation with him on the way here. Mike nodded, a little angry at me reminding him of that.

"Yeah, but I don't think he's gonna find him," he mumbled. "Will took the Demogorgon for us-"

"Demogorgon?" I interrupted, confused. Mike let out a quick sigh.

"It's a monster in our campaign," he explained. "My point is that he sacrificed himself for the team." I contemplated his words. Will Byers being missing shook everyone up, clearly his friends the most. The thing was that Dad asked them not to explore, but he never said that they couldn't have someone else with them.

"My bike's outside," I told him. Mike grinned and pulled his backpack up his shoulders. The two of us quietly ran downstairs, making sure not to create any loud noises as we exited the house. While Mike grabbed his bike, I took a sweater out of my bag and pulled it over my head. I swung my leg over my bike, and while I was waiting, I saw a man climb through Nancy's window. Mike pulled up on his bike, a disgusted look on his face. "Who was that?"

"Steve," Mike answered in a monotone voice. Another thing I forgot to mention about Steve Harrington: he's tried to have sex with Nancy twice and got rejected both times. "What does she see in him?" I kicked up my bike stand and the two of us started biking down the road, Mike in front.

"To be honest, Mike, I have no clue," I shrugged, peddling faster to keep up with him. I kept having to push my glasses up my nose. As we made our way down a hill, I couldn't help but let out a small shout of delight. God, I hadn't done anything like this since... since my sister Sarah died. Both my adopted parents went off to mourn for her while I went off into hiding for days in a theatre. That's where I found my love of acting. The actors there let me stay as long as I helped them during shows.

"Mike, what's she doing here?" I heard Mike's friend Lucas ask, jerking me out of my thoughts. His tone sounded a bit disgusted. Dustin pulled up right next to him, breathing heavily as he kept up with the two boys.