Episode 14 - Failed Hide And Seek

"Just set your stuff down over here," Anya instructed me tiredly, pointing over to the smaller couch in the corner of the small living room. I didn't bother asking her why she told me to come to a broken down home in the woods instead of her family's house by the school. Frankly, it felt safer here than to be out in the open. It was just a little smaller than the house I lived in, the only other room beside the combined living room and kitchen being a bathroom. Bottles of alcohol were strewn around the floor next to first aid kits. The couch across from my assigned one was covered with dusty blankets. "Sorry about the mess."

"As long as I'm not home, I'm thankful," I told her gratefully as I set my duffle bag on the ground. I plopped down on the couch, my fingers racing up to rub my necklace. "How did you find this place?"

"It used to be my family's retreat house until that snow storm a few years back," she sighed, sitting down opposite of me and setting her feet on the arm rest. "Took a bit of time, but I managed to make it useful." She stretched her arms and let out a yawn. "The bathroom is a little wonky though, so watch out for that."

I nodded before giving the front door a quick wary glance. Anya noticed the action and scoffed.

"Nobody is even close to us, Rach. I've checked the perimeter twice since you've arrived."

"You have a security camera set up?" I questioned in surprise. "Wow, they're really well hidden." My friend chuckled darkly. "What?"

"Remember how I said people like your friend give off a sort of vibe?" she asked me, and I gave a nod. She turned over on her back and stared up at the ceiling. "Well, everyone gives off a vibe. Just people like her and I have stronger ones. Anyone who's come in contact with them kind of gain it for a brief moment of time, which makes it easier to know when those scientists are around. They're always covered in it." She closed her eyes shut, and all of a sudden I felt like my stomach was bouncing around in my chest. When she opened her eyes, a new bruise started to form on her arm, growing at a sickening pace. "Nowhere near us, just like I said."

"This is why you keep bruising?" I realized. "Because you have powers like her?"

"Not necessarily," Anya shook her head. "During the summer, I met up with a group of runaways. It was dangerous, and I got hurt." Anya sighed, making a scathing noise in the back of her throat. "So did another girl. While we were getting patched up, some of her blood got into my wound. When I headed back to Hawkins, I started sensing things. It was small, like sensing my mom was doing something with someone else. Then realizing my dad was doing the same thing. Both of them were hooking up with other people and wouldn't even tell each other. Some family." There was an awkward silence between the two of us as she held back tears. "Rachel, besides you, I've got nothing for me in this town. Once I get those scientists off my tail and this entire Will Byers situation is fixed, I'm leaving."

"Where... where would you go?" I said slowly, sitting up in shock at her words. "You'd just leave? What about school?"

"I don't give a damn about school," Anya shrugged. "With my gift, I can go back to where I was during the summer. Trust me, it's the best solution." She bit her lip, considering her words carefully. "Maybe you should tell your friend that she should come with me. Definitely safer for her, you, and all your little friends."

"No," I said forcefully, causing Anya to wince. "I mean, no," I repeated softer. Why was I getting so defensive about this? It was my house that was broken into, my life that was getting thrown upside down. "Eleven, despite all the power she has, can't do it. She's so innocent."

"What are you even going to do after this mess?" Anya jabbed. "Demogorgon goes, scientists disappear, but she has nowhere to go. You don't know her family or where she came from before all of this. You have to start figuring out a solution."