6.

Aston watched Aubrey disappear behind the door with her phone and was surprised at his personal concern. Ordinarily, he would have been put out. He didn't have a problem with his employees dealing with life, as long as they did it on their own time. Normally he would be formulating a few admonishing words after she's kept him waiting this morning and then stepped out of a business meeting to handle what was obviously a personal call.

Instead, he sat here wondering what was wrong. He turned back to find Dominic staring at the door with a frown on his face. The lines between his eyebrows said he was worried,too, but his expression turned more neutral when he caught Aston's look.

"Would you like to go over a few portfolios while we wait?" He asked, his voice calm even though he seemed to have other things in his mind. Eager for a distraction, Aston gave a quick nod. Besides, they were here on business. He needed to focus.

Dominic was quick thinking and smart, which gave him a leg up in Aston's book. He pulled out examples of things he bought might work from the limited knowledge he had on their plans. Aston was impressed. He kept looking through one of the books while they discussed some photo booth ideas. Still, the whole time, his brain was ticking off the minutes that Aubrey had been gone.

What was going on? Did she need help?

As if his very thoughts had conjured her up, Aaron turned the page to see a grouping of photos featuring Aubrey and her son. There was also another woman in the outdoor portraits, which seemed to have been taken at one of the local squares. The fountain behind them was familiar. The greenery provided a lush frame for the women and child.

"Oh, I'd forgotten which book those were in," Dominic said, surveying the spread with a smile. Despite admonishing himself to focus on the meeting, Aston found himself tilting the album father toward him so he could study the group of women more closely. Aubrey was her usual elegant self, her summer dress full and flowing with the fitted bodice. This was his first time seeing her hair down around her shoulders. The thick mass blanketed her pale skin in soft waves, the sunshine creating glossy highlights in the dark color.

Luca looked to be newborn, but there was no mistaking those black curls. The other woman looked down at the baby with a smile. But upon closer closer inspection, Aston though he detected a pervasive sadness in the woman's gaze that belied her indulgent expression as she watched the child.

Aston detected another subtle difference among the three. The second woman seemed sick. Her skin appeared a little gray, a little more aged than Aubrey's. Though the three were grouped together on a picnic blanket in dappled sunshine beneath the trees, the other woman seemed to be more of an observer than part of the group. Still, Dominic was definitely talented when it came to composing a shot.

"The resemblance is remarkable" Aston murmured. All that dark hair linked all three together. No one could penetrate their bond. Only it made him curious about Lucas father and whether he looked like him at all......

No. He refused to entertain any thoughts like that. It was too personal....too tempting...

"I know," Dominic was saying, "Hard to believe they aren't even related, isn't it? you'd never know that Aubrey wasn't Luca's biological mother."

Aston's gaze snapped to the other man, "What?"

Dominic's eyes widen, "Well..."

Without me, he'd have no one at all. Aubrey's words came back to him, haunting his mind.

"What do you mean, Dominic?" Aston forced himself to keep his voice nonchalant. He kept all urgency out of the question. Even though, suddenly, he wanted to know very, very badly.