19.

Aubrey kept herself busy. Since she knew she would need to leave sooner rather than later, she quietly made preparations to disappear once the midnight unveiling had happened. For the first time ever, she had no plans to stay at her event until the last guest lead left and the last plate was packed.

Summer seems to have disappeared while Aubrey was upstairs, and she wasn't as wrong her phone, so Aubrey went to the point person in each area to make sure they were covered. Plans had been made to close the party at 2:00 a.m. Every staff me ever knew what was expected of them. A cleaning crew would be here tomorrow.

She'd hoped her sister would stay behind as her eyes and ears, but she's make so as best as she could. Who knew how long she'd be able to hold all these emotions inside? And the last thing she wanted was to make small talk with Aston while wondering is he was simply humoring her to get her into bed.

There was nothing she wanted more than to get our of those dress and be home with her family. That was the difference between her and Aston. They were her comfort, her sustenance. Aston would have to settling for sleeping with cold hard cash is his success meant so much to him.

Aubrey's hypervigilance allowed her to spot him when he came down the stairs. Vincent wasn't with him. Luckily, Aston paused with some guests, so she headed in the apposite direction. It wasn't like she didn't have plenty to do.

The waiters started circulating throughout the ballroom wi tu fresh trays of champagne while staff informed guests throughout the house that it was almost time for the midnight unveiling. Aubrey had been looking forward to this part of the night. The moment when masks were discarded, when the true person behind the masks was revealed.

Even though she and Aston recognized each other  whine their masks, she'd still looked forward to meeting his gaze in that moment.

Now the last thing she wanted was to look at Aston without protections of her mask hiding her expression.

She saw his sandy-blond head as he entered the ballroom. Even from this distance, she knew he was looking for her. And she couldn't handle it. She simply couldn't.

As she backed slowly away, her hand made contact with the wall behind her. That's when she realized the panel where she stood was actually the door to the private ladies' alcove. She hadn't revealed the existes de of the little room to the guests. Aubrey took a quick look around to see if anyone was watching, but they'd all turned their attention to the MC preparing the crowd for the pinnacle of the evening. So she opened the door and slipped inside.

Only seconds after she'd quietly closed the door, her phone vibrated. It was her sister.

"Summer, where are you?" She whispered frantically. It wasn't as if there was anyone in the room to hear, but she couldn't help it. Her rapidly beating heart felt as if it was calling out across the room. What if Aston found her here too?

She wasn't sure she could face him.

"I'm so sorry, Aubrey," her sister said from the other end of the line. "I left."

"You what?"

"I left....with someone."

Even thought Aubrey should have been questioning her sister or concerned for her safety, she could only respond with panic over her absence. "I need you're help. Right now."

"I'm on my way to Rowan's apartment."

"What?" Oh, that was a bad idea. A very and idea.

"I just...I want this, Aubrey."

"Please don't. I'm telling you, Summer. This is not a good choice." Aubrey knew that for certain. Now more than ever.

"But it's my choice," Summer said softly. "And I'm going to  make it."