Part 2

"His mom is the sweetest thing ever." Rose said as we trailed slowly behind Richie. He was right, this place was huge. Huger than huge. I could probably stay here the whole time and no one would notice. "My mom seemed excited when I told her Rose was bringing a friend home this time." Richie hollered back from in front of us. We were walking up his drive way which was a huge hill that led to the front doors.

"Seriously, he has a brother and I think he said his uncle Grant had three boys. No other women except for his mom, aunt, and grandma." No wonder his mom would be happy to have another female in the testosterone filled house.

"Oh! Get this, his grandma and I have the same name!" Rose quietly squealed in my ear. "Brownie points for you!" I said, matching her enthusiasm. I was happy for Rose. I really was. She was at the top of her game in school, had a great internship with a promising company, and a boyfriend that was crazy about her. There was nothing that made me happier than seeing my closest friend succeed in all aspects of life.

Immediately making my happiness dissipate, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and I knew exactly who it was. Drew had been no stop texting me about how unbelievable of me that I stayed north instead of finding another way to come home. I didn't even respond because, honestly what was I supposed to say? There was no way for me to get home and I couldn't keep stressing myself out about it.

"It looks like everyone is here." Richie said as we finally reached the front door. "Yay, that's good!" Rose was twisting her fingers together nervously, but it didn't show on her face. That was the difference between Rose and I. Where she faced her fears head on, I was a little bit more reserved. When I'm nervous, there's a chance I get very quiet and clam up or either I looking like a bumbling idiot.

"Yes, it is a good thing. Everyone can help me grab all the luggage you guys packed." He joked around, taking Rose's hand in his. I recognized his gesture as trying to calm her nerves. They were so cute with each other, I couldn't stand it.

A few seconds later, the door swung open. "Richard!" I'm guessing his mother is the one hugging him. Tears springing from her eyes. Aw. "Mom, you just saw me for thanksgiving." He laughed wrapping her in a hug.

"And which one of these beautiful young ladies is your girlfriend?" An older man, who weirdly looked like George Clooney says, standing behind his Richie's mom.

"That would be me." Rose says, raising her hand and smiling brightly. Richie's mom rushes us in the house and out of the cold before the light interrogation continues.

"And you must be Kit." His mom smiles warmly at me. "I've met Rose a million times, you're the only new face." She stretches her arms for a hug and I give her one. As our warm hug continues, I can see more people coming into the huge foyer. Another older gentleman was walking downstairs and a two more women were coming to meet us from another part of the house.

"It's nice to meet you, sweetie." His mom says, finally ending our embrace. "It's nice to meet you, as well Mrs. Walker. Thank you for welcoming me into your family festivities this year."

"My name is Mary. Call me Mary! And it honestly is no problem."

"I'm elated to see two more females this year!" A woman says coming from behind Mary. "I'm Emily, Grant's wife and this here is Grandma Rose." She first gestured back to the man who greeted and was still talking to Rose and then to the older women standing beside her.

"Hello, nice to meet you both. My name is Katherine." I smile at both of women. They both smile back, each giving me quick hugs. "Mil, this is Richie's girlfriend we've been hearing all about. Bring mom over to meet her, too. She's great!" I felt my phone ringing in my pocket, but I ignored it.