Part 6

"I think I love your mom." I laugh, munching on a cookie. I was sitting on the bed next to Carter. Richie and Rose were in front of the bed on the floor, wrapping their gifts. We were watching some cartoon Christmas movie, sipping on white hot chocolate and snacking on chocolate chip cookies.

"She gives the best hugs." I continue.

"Oh, I know. I'm a sucker for mom's hugs. They're so warm." He agreed. Hmm, I momma's boy. I liked that, it made him less intimidating. "By the way, these cookies are amazing!" Carter says. Richie agrees from somewhere down on the floor.

"Me and Kit-Kat are going to make amazing wives one day." I only blushed at Rose's words, continuing to wrap my gift, quietly.

"Hell yeah, you will." Richie says. I hear him give her a quick kiss before she giggled. I want my next relationship to be like theirs, honestly. They were so comfortable, it was like they were married already.

"Hey, want to see something cool?" Carter leaned over and whispered in my ear. I shook my head and he grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the door. "We'll be back!" He quietly shouted while pulling me towards the steps.

I didn't know why he was being so quiet, everyone else that was living here was on the other side of the house or on the next floor down. We slid down steps and hallways until we were in front of what he told me was the ballroom. Earlier when we saw this room, it was empty but now there were string lights, garland, and other Christmas accessories decorating the room. It was so elegant- too beautiful for me to explain.

"Tomorrow, my dad is hosting his annual Christmas ball. A lot of big names come. Big names from all across the country, even from D.C." Carter stuffs his hands in his pockets, over looking the room. "We have auctions and give aways, champagne, eggnog, wine, food, dancing. We have it all."

Walking down the stairs, I almost slipped because of my fuzzy socks and the smooth floors. Luckily, I caught myself. We headed over towards the back of the ballroom towards the glass, french doors.

"Tomorrow morning, we'll have people over to set up the big tent, next to the barn right over there." Carter points to the open space in the middle of the barnyard and a guest house that I didn't notice earlier. This place just keeps getting bigger, I'm telling you.

"Every year we invite the orphanage from the city to take pictures with Santa. Afterwards, we give gifts or books that the people attending donate to us. That's my favorite part of the night." He smiles, still looking around. I glanced up at him. He was so lost in what he was saying, he didn't realize that he was smiling so effortlessly. "That's why I'm doing it, you know?" He asks, looking down at me.

"Doing what?"

"Politics and law at Harvard." He simply answered. Ah, following daddy's footsteps. "I want to make a difference where it counts and seeing my dad do that gives me inspiration and motivation." The passion in his voice shook me to the core.

"Tomorrow's an important night for me. I'm building a network and being that so many important people are going to be here, I'd like to meet some new connections. My dad is going to help."

"You've got a wonderful family, Carter." I say, honestly.

Yesterday, on the car ride here I was so nervous that I was going to have a miserable time here with snooty rich people. Trust me, I know a lot at home like that and I thought that I would be dealing with those types for two weeks, but I was completely wrong. They have been the best hosts I've ever encountered and I'm thankful that I'm spending my time with them if I couldn't be home.

"I want to run for President one day. I plan on doing so." He said, seriously. Looking down at me, he asks, "do you think I'd make a good president?"