Part 7

The next morning was extremely busy in the Walker family home. The front doors stayed open all day with different workers coming in and out. There seemed to be hundreds of people working outside. Shovelling snow, stringing lights on the bushes, decorating the giant evergreen that stood proudly in the middle of the drive way. There were more people rushing in poinsettias, ice sculptures, and large bins of toys. I'm guessing all for tonight.

Finally spotting someone I know, I rushed over to them. "Mrs. Walker!" I call.

"It's Emily, dear!" I say sorry before continuing, "What time does this event start tonight?" I look down at my watch to see that it's only 11am in the morning. Where was everyone else? Were they still sleeping?

"It begins at 7pm, sharp." She says, reaching into the refrigerator to grab an apple. "Wait, did anyone put your name on the list? I hope you know that you're going. I will not have you sitting in your room the whole night-"

"Grant asked me to be his plus one, last night." I smiled to myself as I grabbed a banana from in front of me.

"Oh, sweetie! That makes me feel a lot better. I was hoping he would. You're a good girl!" She smiled at me with that sweet, motherly, all knowing smile.

"Oh, Emily. We're just friends, that's all. We barely know each other."

Her smile never faltered, "for now." Before I can say anything back, she switches the conversation. "So right now, we begin prepping for tonight." She rests a gentle hand on my back and leads me away from the kitchen and back towards the staircase.

"While the men are out hunting- they should be getting back soon, hmm." Emily pauses to check her watch.

"Anyway, us women start getting ready for the party around 12pm. We have stylists coming, they'll do our hair and makeup- any last minute waxing. Then I have two seamstresses who come to make any last minute alterations on our evening wear. Do tell me you have a gown?" We stop mid step and she looks over at me, worried.

"Yes, of course. My brother usually has his own Christmas events. So I had one ready for when I went home. I'll just be wearing it tonight." I smile, sweetly, and we continue up the steps. "That's great news!" Emily says, clapping her hands. "So after we are all dressed and ready, we meet in the little library." She points down the narrow hallway, towards my favourite little nook.

"We discuss what roles we have to play to make the party go by smoothly and we head down stairs to meet our respective dates." I shake my head, absorbing everything she's throwing at me. "I know this all must seem like a lot but I'm sure you understand, the world is watching so our events need to run as smoothly as they can." By the time she is finished talking, we are back near my bedroom. "So go shower, brush your teeth, wash your hair, and meet us in the sunroom downstairs. The stylist should be here within the hour." I didn't even get a word out before she spun away.

"Oh, we've ordered a big breakfast if you want to grab some before you come into the prepping room!" She calls over her shoulder, rushing back downstairs.

Wow, what a mouthful. For the first time, I was extremely grateful for my political family. The intensity of the event was new, but I still was familiar with it. Matthew and my dad, with his big construction business, always were having parties and we always had to wave and smile.

I wondered back into my room before walking over to the bathroom door. With all of the bustling energy running throughout the house, I couldn't help but to feel energised and excited.