Chapter fourteen

It was the longest night of my life. When I got comfortable someone would start making noises and when I'd tried to cover my ears, I would get uncomfortable. It was a never-ending cycle and I was so close to asking Frankie to knock me out. That way I could actually get some sleep. By the time it was time to get ready to leave, I was practically a walking zombie, daring anyone to piss me off today.

The plan was to hit the city in the morning before gathering as much intel from them as possible. With enough information, we would be able to make an effective strike either this afternoon or tonight. Either way, today we were getting back into the Chambers.

I walked outside with my pack, needing to be away from the noise and people. As I began preparing myself I pulled out the walkie-talkie and with a huge deep breath, turned the knob letting the static buzz loudly as it warmed up. Pressing down, I cleared my throat and spoke, "Hello? Anyone there?" I waited for a minute but no one replied. "Doc? Francine? Come in."

Suddenly an ear-piercing screech as it gave feedback and I pulled the walkie-talkie quickly away from my face. A crackle and an unplugging sound and then, "Olive?"

My heart began to race, "Eli! What are you doing in the hospital?"

"We pulled a code black... The rocks collapsed over the entrance. It's still kept crumbling so we had to put beams up to keep the roof from caving in on itself. I just sprained my ankle but you know Doc..." He explained and I closed my eyes, thanking anyone who would listen to not letting Eli die. "Wait where are you?"

"Near the city. We're very close but I can't tell you much just in case..."

"That's a good idea."

"But Eli, come hell or high water, I will see you before the day is out," I promised and he sniffled before clearing his throat.

"In one piece if you can manage." Eli teased and I let out a laugh, a real laugh.

"Yeah look I'll give it my best effort. I'll see you soon." I smiled and he chuckled under his breath. "Love you."

"Love you too Olive. Be safe." And the line went dead.

Switching off the walkie-talkie, I gave myself a minute to be happy that for the first time in what felt like forever, I'd spoken to my brother and after a minor sprain ankle, he was safe and alive.

Finding an art room, I closed the door behind me, putting a chair to stop anyone from getting in. Going over to the sink, I got on my knees and washed my face. Closing my eyes I let the cool water wash over me, rubbing the back of my neck as I mentally prepared myself for today. The last time I went into the battle I came out on the other side a different person. I lost two of the most important people in my life. And I lost myself.

Patting my face down, I changed into some fresh black tights and a cut sleeve singlet that was tight around my body. Changing out my runners for some combat boots, I smiled at the nostalgia that I felt. This was how I would get ready every single day I was alone.

"Old habits die hard." I murmured as I finished tying my boot and suddenly the chair holding the door flew backwards, the door swinging open to reveal a confused Michael staring at the door handle. Jumping to my feet quickly, I stared at him frowning as his eyes laid on me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise this room was occupied." He looked sheepish and I sighed nodding as I gathered my worn clothes and shoved them into my pack.

"Don't worry about it, I'm done," I answered quickly and he pressed his lips together hard before nodding. I hadn't done my hair and I sat down on one of the little chairs and quickly undid my braid. Combing it out with my fingers, I leaned my head forward and began to braid it.