5: Optic Nerve Blocking

M.Mell added #concerned to private chat ‘Optic Nerve Blocking’

M.Mell: I'm done.

#concerned: what's wrong?

M.Mell: I can't believe this. I can't believe he’d do this to me.

#concerned: mind filling me in???

M.Mell: so, Jeremy finally notices me a little after lunch.

#concerned: ok?

M.Mell: the Squip pill worked. He lied to us.

#concerned: it worked? That's actually amazing, but...why would he hide it from us?

M.Mell: idk. Anyway, once I found out about the Squip, I invited him to celebrate.

#concerned: let me guess. You asked if he wanted to get stoned in your basement?

M.Mell: yeah, not the point. He kept talking about some upgrade. I asked him if he was going to join me, but he said ‘Optic nerve blocking on’.

#concerned: optic nerve blocking? He's blocking you from his sight on purpose!?

M.Mell: I don't think it was on purpose all day. I think he just now found out and now he's using it voluntarily.

M.Mell: can I call u?

#concerned: of course!

Call from Michael Mell

“Dude, you okay?” Jared asked, concern lacing his voice.

“N-no, I'm kinda f-freaking out,” Jared could hear the choked sobs and a panic attack Michael was trying to control.

“Hey, everything will be okay, just breathe for me,” Jared said softly. “Do me a favor since I'm not there, run your fingers through your hair.”

Michael did as he was instructed and Jared soothed him with kind, soft words. After about five minutes, Michael was calm enough to be able to talk.

“Thank you,” he started with and sniffled.

“Anytime,” Jared said on the phone. “Wanna ditch school and complain about Jeremy?”

“Haha, ditching school sounds good to me. Will u stay on the line with me while I drive?”

“Of course I will. Anything you need, I’m here. Even if you want me to drive down.”

“Thank you,” Michael smiled and started walking out of the school, phone clutched in his hand.

The entire ten minute ride to his house, Jared was trying to get Michael to cheer up by telling him his infamous inappropriate jokes. It was working, Michael was laughing so hard, he almost crashed his car twice.

When he got home, he opened the door and went straight to the basement.

“I dunno what to do about this, man,” Michael ran a hand through his hair.

“You said that Squip thing worked, right?” Jared asked.

“Yeah.”

“Well, maybe that Squip thing is making Jeremy a jerk for some reason.”

“Maybe...though, it does make sense that you say that.”

“Me? Making sense?! Do explain, Sir Michael,” Jared said in a deep funny voice that made Michael laugh.

“Haha, well, there’s this guy Rich that told Jeremy about the pill and he’s a total jerk, like, grade A bully. Maybe that’s what the Squip is telling him to do.”

“That does seem to make some sense. I guess, and don’t think I think about you this way, but...maybe the Squip thinks you're a loser, so in order for Jeremy to be popular, he has to get rid of you?”

“Yeah...which sucks on my end. I wonder if he's even thinking about me...about how I feel…”

“I'm sorry, man.”

“Jared, it's not your fault Jeremy is being a jerk,” Michael reassured. “Maybe I can do some research? Ask around?”

“Isn't it, like, top secret? You can't even look it up on the internet, right?” Jared asked.

“Still, someone has to know something, I mean, this could be happening in another part of the World. It's from Japan! The Japanese probably know about it!”

“This is true. You gonna research? I can help! This is very exciting.”

“Jared, you literally have no life, do you?” Michael laughed.

“Is it that obvious?” Jared said sarcastically.

“It's okay, neither do I.”

“Haha, okay, well, I'll text you if I find anything, but lunch is over and I gotta go.”

“Aww.”

“Hey, I'll call you when I get out of school, I promise.”

“Okay.”

“Tell me what you find, okay?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright, I love you, baby cousin.”

“I love you too.”

“Will you be okay for two hours?”

“Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks for letting me call you. I just needed to hear your voice.”

“Anytime. Talk to you later.”

“Talk to you later.”

Michael ended the call.

~~~

(725 words)

Hope you all enjoyed this! Pls vote/comment if you did. I'll see you guys on Friday! Bye!