The New CEO - Khalid Foundation

"Sow a seed that will blossom even when you have become withered" ~Umm Naml

Chapter 3
Khalid Foundation, Gwarinpa, Abuja

As his Toyota sedan pulled into the foundation's parking lot, the employees bustled around, trying to meet the expectations of the new CEO of Khalid Foundation.

Jamaal Khalid Imaan stepped out of the car and studied his surroundings with sharp intelligent eyes. He was a very tall and confident man with powerful dark looks that made people look at him twice. More captivating than his looks were his easy smiles and kind eyes that immediately made people want to trust him. His humble personality was a complete contrast to his physical look and social class. His legendary success in the business world preceded him but unrestrained humility festooned his every step; he was simply a man of integrity.

The first thing he noticed was the elegant but traditional setting of the Khalid foundation structure; it pleased him. The last time he had been there, it had been a mere sketched-out layout on a piece of paper.

Khalid Foundation was a non-profit making organization established to cater for the needs of the aged, orphaned and widowed Muslims within Abuja metropolis. Through its subsidiaries - Khalid Foundation Academy (KFA) and The Khalid Farms (TKF) - the foundation provided free education and job opportunities to striving Muslim families.

Jamaal smiled as the man who looked like the older version of him stepped around the car to stand beside him.

“What do you think?” asked the older man. It was an uncertain question laced with hope.

If there were two things Khalid Imaan was known for, they were fairness and generosity; hence the basis upon which the foundation was built. His kindness and justice system had earned him loyal and dedicated employees who were willing to use up their last energy for the growth of the foundation.

Three years back when the foundation had been experiencing a threatening financial crisis for almost a year, the media’s attention had been drawn when a group of employees had gone extra miles to outsource and design a new business model, a working strategy that helped the foundation back on its foot.

But secretly his health was failing and he could feel that he would be meeting with his Lord soon...

Even though he had hope in the mercy of his Lord, there was also a lingering fear especially regarding the accountability for his wealth and justice as a leader. His fear stemmed from two ahadith that he recited to himself every morning;

Verily, the most beloved of people to Allah on the Day of Resurrection and the nearest to Him will be the just leader. The most hated of people to Allah and the furthest from Him will be the tyrannical leader.

and...

“The two feet of the son of Adam will not move from near his Lord on the Day of Judgement until he is asked about five (matters); concerning his life – how he spent it; about his youth – how he took care of it; about his wealth – how he earned it; and where he spent it; and about that which he acted upon from the knowledge he acquired.”

He didn't want to be far from Allah on that day, yet no man could ever truly speak with certainty about the piety of their actions; only Allah knew that. He only hoped the foundation would be accepted as sadaqat-ul-jaariya, the reward of a charity that continued to read even after one's death.

What Khalid didn't know was the extent of his son's strong admiration for him and his fear of falling short of the expectations of the man he greatly revered.