Mismatched priorities

"He will come for you and you have nowhere to hide. No matter where you run, he will find you" Umm Naml

Chapter 6

Khalid studied the man sitting across from the visitor’s chair where he sat. Dr. Yusuf, an elderly man of about the same age as Khalid had been his close friend for twenty years. As Khalid watched, the doctor’s brow creased and hiaas eyes narrow awwed as he studied the test result in his computer. Khalid understood his expression; the situation was bad.

“If you continue like this, I am going to issue a complaint and have your license withdrawn.” Khalid teased in an effort to lighten the mood.

“This is no joke, Khalid," the man said seriously, "you are experiencing the symptoms of the forth stage of Pancreatic cancer.” The doctor was worried.

"What are my options?" Khalid asked in a voice void of emotion.

"I would suggest a pancreatic transplant but it's the malignant stage. Our most realistic option now is chemotherapy."

"I can't do chemo now." Khalid said plainly.

"The pain will get worse."

"Then give me some pain killers."

The doctor sighed, "Khalid, don't be stubborn about this. You need immediate medical care."

"I will, In shaa Allah, after I settle important issues."

"You won't be in the right shape or frame of mind to settle these issues. Even with Gemcitabine, the relief will be short lived."

Khalid sighed and ran his hands through his beard thoughtfully, “How long do I have?” As his friend made to speak, he interrupted, adding on a light note, “Medically, of course. We both know that only Allah knows the end time of everyone’s life.”

Dr. Yusuf didn’t think it was funny, there were so many things they needed to sort out and time was lacking. “Barely six months. ...or less.”

Khalid nodded thoughtfully, “AlhamduliLlah! I should get serious with the arrangement to, at least, get my first son married then. I think six months is fair; if I live that long, of course.”

Dr. Yusuf couldn’t understand how anyone’s attitude towards death could be so indifferent. The thought of being alone in a dark and lonely grave was his greatest fear. Regardless, he couldn’t make his friend suspicious of his greedy plans. He shook his head, putting on his most concerned expression, “How are you going to break the news to your family? They will be devastated but you need to start serious treatment immediately.”

Khalid laughed nervously, his eyes becoming sad at the thought of his wife. “And have to endure a sad last moment? And taint their last memory of me? No…” he shook his head, “I don’t think so. About your daughter…” He paused on a bout of cough.

Finally! I thought we will never get there! “Husna.” Dr. Yusuf supplied too eagerly.

“Yes, Husna. When shall we meet her, again? We should give them the opportunity to meet and decide whether or not they like each other.”

The doctor faked an uninterested sigh, “She will be rounding up her youth service in three weeks, In shaa Allah. I think you should be more worried about your health Khalid, plus your family shouldn’t be kept in the dark, especially your wife.”

Khalid’s eyes lost focus for a moment, a deep sadness crossing his face. “Three weeks… that’s a long time for someone like me Yusuf, but as long as they get married immediately…”

“Are you really not going to tell your wife? She will be depressed if she finds out late.” Dr. Yusuf almost bit his tongue but mentally sighed when Khalid didn’t pay attention to the emotionless note in his voice.

Kullu nafsi dhaaaiqatul-mawt” (Everyone shall taste death) Khalid quoted from a verse in surah al-imraan. “Samirah knows this much; she will be fine, In shaa Allah. May Allah make it easy for them to bear.”

Ameen” Dr. Yusuf replied, feeling a little uneasy. Khalid had a way of making one feel guilty, he thought angrily. “Just inform them. You won’t be able to keep it as secret for long anyway; your body is deteriorating.” He didn’t mean to sound irritated but thankfully, Khalid never noticed his flaws.

Khalid gave the doctor a determined look, “Until I can’t hold it anymore, Yusuf. For now, I need to concentrate on only one thing; getting Jamaal married.” Hopefully that will get my sincerity across to you and you wouldn't stab me after my death.