XXXII

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO; SEASON EIGHT
|A REASON TO LIVE|

"Im damaged goods"

___

"I found this man earlier today, he-he started rambling about his mom and he-kept saying how he was gone. He was alone from what i saw, but my dad ran him off claiming he was one of them. It's all bullshit. I know it is. He's all wrapped on the idea of just finishing this. There's good people still, but he just doesn't get it"

"He just, i don't know, needs a breather? I mean, from what you've told me your dad has been through hell and back and so have you. The thing is, Rick always makes sure everyone's okay, but who's ever made sure Rick is okay?"

"The only thing that's keeping him sane is Judith and I, maybe even Michonne"

"That's how you know he hasn't lost it"

"What do you mean?"

Lucille shifted underneath Carls arm, resting her head onto his shoulder and began playing with one of his buttons of his flannel.

"If you think about it, most people are alone. Sure there's people all around them but their constant loneliness takes a toll on them. It drives them to their edge. Rick isn't lonely, he's far from it"

"What happens when I die? Or-Or Judith?"

Lucille sat up and looked at the pained boy that sat closely beside her
"You're not going to die, nor is Judith. There's no way Rick or the others will allow that to ever happen"

"And there's no way I'm allowing you to die either"

Lucille looked at the boy with shocked expression, the comment taking her off guard. She shook her head and looked down at their intertwined fingers.

When Daryl took her back to the others, a sense of relief swept through everyone who knew that the girl was alive and well. Maggie, Carol, even father Gabriel, welcomed her back with tight embraces. As news traveled, the one-eyed teen found himself running towards the small petite girl. The reunion took her mind off the conversation she had just had with Daryl, as her butterflies took over her stomach when she hugged Carl. She had missed the long haired boy, forever she felt that he'd be mad at her for leaving but the opposite had occurred. The thought of ever leaving again left her mind as soon as she had him in her arms. Somehow, the boy brought her a sense of pure happiness and love like she hadn't felt before - Maybe he was what she had been missing. He was her missing puzzle piece. The pain she felt was still there, she knew it wouldn't go away anytime soon. But perhaps Carl could distract it away for the time being.

Lucille's eyes met back to Carl's
"I'm not going anywhere"

"Promise?"

The girl took hold of his hand and lifted his small pinky, locking hers with his"I promise"

"I promise"

The two teens leaned in and locked lips, as everything around them turned normal for quick moment.

"Whatever happens, I won't let you get hurt" Carl breathed as he placed his forehead on Lucilles

"I'm damaged goods" Lucille chuckled

"Come on, they'll be leaving soon" Carl ushered as he helped her off the bed. Both teens strutted towards the gates of Alexandria. The streets were filled with family members saying their goodbyes to their loved ones.

Alexandria was making the first hit onto the Sanctuary.

That meant war was coming.
That meant death was coming.