7. Antichrist

You wouldn't call it an existential crisis, really. More of a questioning of every single thing she'd believed in for the past thirty years.

It'd started because of one simple thought that slipped into her mind as she was drifting asleep, a thought that stuck to her like old gum on a shoe. A thought that kept her awake until light shone through the sheer curtains. A thought that reflected onto her work, something her colleagues surely noticed as she grew more quiet and abstracted as time went by. Newt noticed, of course, but he could never coax an answer out of her.

It wasn't until one night, when the sky was the darkest shade of black, that she finally let things loose, tired of hearing the same thought repeat over and over in her head. "Are you awake?" She whispered into the dark, wincing at the loud tone her voice seemed to carry.

A shift, then a mumble. Tell-tale signs that he was awake. "What is it, love?" He murmured into his pillow, turning to face her. Her face held a haunted, blank, almost misty look, her eyes pure proof that her mind was in other, darker places. "Are you alright?" He asked, growing slightly concerned.

"Alright," she repeated quietly- not in a mocking way, more of a questioning way. "I don't know." Her voice was a heavy whisper now, the only noise in the room. Everything that followed was a thick silence that seemed to choke her, ridding her of any air, before she could think of a proper answer. "I don't think I've been alright for a while."

Tina's sudden mood seemed melancholic to Newt, but he knew, deep down, that she'd been feeling this way for weeks. The anguish behind her answer crushed him, all he'd ever wanted to do was protect her, and it seemed as if whatever had been perplexing her for so long was out of his grasp, something he couldn't fix, which was an uncommon predicament. He was always able to fix things, even things that seemed impossible to fix. However, none of them were human, and none of them were Tina. She wasn't a broken toy, no, she was a real, living creature- but not one he knew everything about. Yes, they were married, but neither of them knew everything about each other. It was one of the bittersweet things, every day they'd find something out about the other that they didn't possibly know. This particular day, Newt had found out Tina had an acquired taste for The Daily Prophet, but didn't believe any of the astonishingly fake stories.

"Tina, what's troubling you?" Newt asked, his voice soft, attempting to envelope her in a comforting embrace, an embrace that was neither returned nor acknowledged. She was too lost in her thoughts then, thoughts she'd fought so hard to push away, but couldn't, no matter how much she tried. The guilt of having these thoughts was a heavy weight on her shoulders. She knew her sister would be disappointed in her, as they were both raised with the same practices and beliefs. No, don't be silly, Tina told herself. Queenie would understand, she'd be able to help.

She knew that any mention of what was really vexing her would worry him, but she considered herself to be a terrible liar, and in this state she wouldn't be able to come up with a clever enough or believable enough lie.

"Do you think God is real?" She asked, her voice barely above a whisper. Her question took Newt aback; this was rarely something they discussed. They both had differing views, but never let that get in the way of anything. The only time they'd even mention it was in December, when both of them had separate holidays to celebrate, in which they celebrated together. Religion wasn't a shaky topic to them. They both just accepted they were raised differently, never truly acknowledging the fact that something people took very seriously was something they had differing views about.

His answer was delayed as he tried to think of one that wasn't too blunt, but was comforting all the same. He was never good with words, and at these moments he cursed himself for it. "I... well, you and I were both taught that He is. But neither of us contain the wisdom to truly know, none of us do. Why are you inquiring about such a thing so late at night?" His arms wrapped tighter around her, a feeble attempt to make Tina feel better.