17. Pickett's Gone

I had SO MUCH FUN writing with Sam (adorkableseba on twitter) for the first time! I as a bit worried at first, because I've never collabed with someone before, but I'm super duper excited to do it again (maybe next month... *wink*??).
Thank you for getting this book to 1.8k reads! That's awesome, you guys!
Alternative Title: Places We Won't Walk

+

Silence descended on the room like a heavy blanket, the two sisters waiting for an update on Pickett's health. He'd grown ill the past few months, and though none of them wanted to admit it, his time was coming to an end. Newt's case opened with a click, and both of the Goldsteins turned quickly in their chairs. Newt climbed out of it, looking exhausted. It was evident he had been crying. Tina stood up, walking toward Newt, though she didn't need to ask. Newt refused to look at her, instead studying the rug they stood on as he said, "Pickett's gone."

Quiet sniffles filled the room as Queenie began to cry, though Tina only focused on Newt. "I'm so sorry Newt," she began, but before she could say anything else, Newt had walked out the door. Tina could hear the snap that signified his apparition. "Where's he gone?" Tina asked her younger sister, her tone sharp. "Where did Newt go? Where did he go, Queenie?"

The blonde removed her hands from her face, mascara running down onto her cheeks. "He's hurtin' Tina, leave him be for now. He'll come back when he's ready. He has to come back, his creatures are still here. You can wait for him, your company will help him," Queenie said. Tina nodded her head, relatching Newt's case and carrying it to her bedroom so it wasn't in the way and none of his creatures could escape. Tina sighed and looked at her bed- technically Newt's, now that he was staying with them- and sat down, the case falling onto its side with a thump.

-

Tina had waited in her own room for over two hours, which was when she had decided that waiting in Newt's room seemed to be a better idea instead. That way she wouldn't end up disturbing Queenie whilst her sister slept. Her eyes started to grow heavy around eleven p.m. which was almost exactly four hours since Mr. Scamander had disappeared

As the eldest Goldstein sister settled down upon Newt's pillow, she almost received the fright of her life when the window a few inches away shattered into tiny little pieces and something came flying through with it. Then, Tina realised that the 'something' was actually Newt himself.

"Newt?! What on Earth are you doing?" She gasped, leaping off of the bed to check if he was alright. The witch no longer felt tired, and could feel her heart almost beating out of her chest from the shock of what had just unfolded.

He stayed curled up in a ball for a few moments, and then sat up. "I'm... going to fix that," Newt"s speech seemed to be quite slurred, as he withdrew his wand from his inner coat pocket and pointed. The wrong way around.

Tina gasped loudly, grabbing it from his hands. She retrieved her own wand from the nightstand, and cast 'Reparo' at the broken window, hissing a little in pain when she looked down at her hand and settled her gaze upon a few tiny shards of glass that had become embedded. "There, it's fixed." The woman told Newt in a kind voice.

As she sat back down beside him, Tina's eyebrows raised upwards a little as she watched him swaying from side to side. "Are you... drunk, Newt?" Her brow furrowed.

"Maybe I am not," he grumbled back.

Tina mouthed the word 'okay...' to herself, grabbing him by the arm in order to steady his weight. "Let's get you cleaned up, okay? No harm done." She reassured him, carefully leading him towards the bathroom.

She guided him to the toilet, with the seat down so that he could use it as a makeshift chair. Newt let her place him downwards, yet he kept his head down somewhat in shame or embarrassment maybe. Tina grabbed a few things from the bathroom cabinet, browsing over Queenie's perfumes and retrieving some ointment instead. "You're bleeding," she mumbled, wetting a cloth to clean up his face.