10. First Date

"Maybe you're takin' this first date thing a little too seriously?" A woman said, sitting atop a mahogany dresser and sipping coffee from a jug. "Try loosenin' up a bit."

Tina was pacing around the room, her eyebrows furrowed. She stopped the moment her sister said that. "Queenie, it's not just any date," she said, picking up a jacket from the edge of her bed and trying it on. Tina groaned and threw it on the floor, sitting down and facing her. "It's a date with Newt Scamander, the man I've been in love with ever since I... ever since I arrested him." Tina and her sister both burst into laughter then, Queenie because of how ridiculous her sister was being, and Tina because of how ridiculous she sounded. "Maybe I shouldn't go," she mused, fiddling with her fingers. "He's still in love with Leta anyway."

Queenie frowned and slid off of the dresser, instead sinking down on the bed next to her sister, and taking her hand. It was warm and sweaty, no doubt because of the stress Tina was putting herself under. "Oh, Teenie, don't think like that. If he really loved her... why did he come back for you?" Queenie said, her voice soft and understanding. "That's how Jacob was with me 'n Mildred. He realized if he truly loved her, he wouldn't have chosen me. Newt chose you, Tina, not Leta. Always remember that."

Tina smiled, feeling slightly less put out now that her sister had confirmed that her doubts were nothing more than just intrusive thoughts.

Queenie stood up and opened a dresser drawer, pulling out a white blouse. She examined it closely. "Ain't this what you wore when you first met?"

"When I arrested him," Tina said, rolling over and burying her face in her hands. She couldn't believe she'd arrested him, nearly gotten his creatures killed, nearly gotten him killed...

"Stop thinkin' like that! He has no hard feelings about that, Newt knows you were only doin' your job. Besides, he found it kind of..."

"Kind of what?" Tina said, sitting up, her eyebrows raised.

"Cute," Queenie said, giggling as Tina launched a pillow at her. "Wear it, Teen." She thrust the blouse at her sister, who took it apprehensively.  "I left a special pair of pants folded on the dresser, I know they're not exactly... your style, but I think you'll knock the breath right out of him," she said with a wink, and left the room.

Tina's eyes immediately lifted to the dresser where, sure enough, Queenie had folded a pair of her own pants and left them there for her. At least they're pants, she thought. It was a well known fact that her sister had an aptitude for revealing dresses and skirts. She sighed as she got up, putting the blouse on as she did so. Tina was surprised when she unfolded the attire. Though they were a dark shade of pink and had decals all over them, she couldn't help but think that they did suit her well. As she tried them on, she realize Queenie had put a lengthening spell on them, as she was half a foot shorter than Tina. Tina did look a bit dressier than usual, but it was a first date. She smiled as she remembered how Newt had asked her.

Newt walked upstairs, careful not to alert Mrs. Esposito of his presence. Though he was a frequent visitor at the Goldstein residence, Mrs. Esposito wasn't very fond of men in her apartment complex. He knocked on the door, taking a deep breath and situating himself. He had made sure that Queenie wasn't home, because he'd find it awkward if she opened the door and he'd had to ask Tina in front of her.

Tina opened the door only seconds later. "I'm sorry Mrs. Esposito, I know we were a bit late on the rent yester- Oh, Newt." Her demeanor changed entirely, instead of a worried expression, there was now a fond smile on her face. She opened the door wider. "Come in, I was just about to sit down with dinner. I can make you an extra plate if you like."