Chapter 5 - The return

(Todd) 

The only Noise you can hear is from the birds as they chirp, I can hear water running from outside but no other Noise. The girl's was probably in my imagination, women don't have Noise, after all, silence had overcome them since they were born. I open ma eyes and face a white ceiling. I am under a blanket on a bed with a towel stuck on my face, we are in a room, a nice looking room, not destroyed at all, weird cause the Mayor ruined everything. I try to sit up with failure, throwing the towel on the floor, falling back on the pillow she put there for me.

"I hope he is okay, he looked terrible, fortunately, he cannot read my Noise, if he found out about me, he would kill me but he's too sick for that, I am the circle and the circle is me."  All of a sudden the Noise fades away and she appears in my view. 

"You're awake. I thought you were going to die cause you wouldn't wake up for three days and your Noise was totally off." She picks up the towel, places it on the edge of the bed to my feet and puts her palm on my forehead, making me flinch a little cause it's cold. 

As she takes her hand away from my face, it hits me. The purpose I came here in the first place. What if Viola is dead by now? Also, where is Angharad? Uncovering the sheets and the blanket, I get up quickly, feeling a little dizzy trying to balance and leaning on the wall. I am just happy that my chest does not hurt anymore. I take a few steps before stumbling and cursing.  

"Todd Hewitt, I know where you are." Noise, Aaron's Noise. Αgain, he's dead, Viola killed him. "Todd Hewitt, I know she's with you." 

Before I take another step, someone pulls me on the ground as a forceful sound is heard and the ceiling collapses on us. 

(Viola)

I am able to breathe on my own anymore, this oxygen mask is annoying but I have no other choice. My legs and arms are shaking, all my internal organs hurt so badly, I wish they stopped working... However, I have to stay alive for him.  

He's been missing for 4 days now. Ben has sent an army to look for him and he's leaving today too. 

It's late afternoon, the sun has not set yet and I watch people come and go from the screen inside the medical room when suddenly I feel so hot like I am gonna explode, my heart beats fast, I can't breathe, oh god, I can't breathe and no one is here to help me. I attempt to scream but it's a silent screaming... I don't wanna die now, not here, not without him. Goodbye Todd, I love you... 

(Todd) 

Everything suddenly feels cold, the girl's body is on the top of me, she hasn't moved yet but that's not it, something has changed like someone has ... passed away... No no, it can't be I'm sure she's fine, I just gotta hurry, before I get caught by Aaron. I push the girl on the floor and run outside coughing due to the dust in the room but walking normally this time. It seems that we're in a basement with two secret doors, you could call it a shelter. After I pass the small kitchen, there's a small staircase and a tiny door on the roof. I push it and open it up only to see that we are in another house.. familiar house, the place where I grew up, Ben and Cillian's place. So, not only she saved me, she brought me here too, who's that girl?

I climb up to my home and ran outside, it's stupid I know but I cannot hear Aaron's Noise plus I've shut down mine. Angharad is nowhere to be found. I call her name a couple times but nothing. My breaths are short as I am trying to reach her Noise and there it is "Boy Colt" is spread everywhere coming from the backyard where we used to relax especially on summer nights, Cillian explaining to me about the stars. Before I walk towards her side, a light appears in front of my eyes and I am blinded by a Noise. "Dad, Davy, Prentisstown, war, mom, Anna, Todd, promise" and stuff like that coming from the basement, it could be only from one person. Her. I was not hallucinating, after all, she has Noise and it's fading as the minutes pass.  "Ahhh... I am coming to help you." I mumble to myself although I don't have time for that, ma mind and heart is in Vi. 

The girl is not moving by the time I reach the half-destroyed room so I pick her up, oh gosh, she is kinda heavier than I expected, my chest starts to hurt again. After many efforts, I pick her up in my arms and march upstairs as fast as I can to Angharad's side. "Girl colt, boy colt." Her Noise calls in a cheerful yet worried tone. She lowers a little so I placed the sleeping girl on her back and search inside the pockets of her pants, I forgot to mention she is dressed in brown pants and a white ripped t-shirt, but all I find is a tiny transparent packet with a green capsule in it. It looks like the antidote that I saw in Ben's Voice. My Noise rises with excitement as I think of her and me sitting by the river of New Prentisstown, holding hands, kissing but "I am the Circle and the Circle is me." Maybe the girl is not evil after all. Before I climb my horse, I demand it to make silence to check if Aaron's nearby, he probably thinks he killed us especially now that he is not able to hear our Noise. 

Angharad runs so fast I am sure, we're gonna fall but we don't. It's dawn when we arrive back in Haven facing Ben and some soldiers walking tired through the town square. I open up my Noise and he stands still for a moment, turning back a sec later only to run and hug me as my feet are on the ground. 

"You're okay." His voice speaks, his spackle voice. 

"She needs help." I point at the girl in the horse whose forehead is full of blood at the moment. "Aaron's alive, he he destroyed half of our house in Prentisstown."

"What are you talking about?" He asks in his voice this time. 

"You have to believe me." I look a little further from Ben and see my mom standing there, tearing up as soon as she realizes it's me. She runs by my side and gives me a huge tight hug, tighter than I expected. 

"My baby, are you alright?" She questions directing her eyes at the girl. "Oh my God, what happened to her?"

I don't reply just running away from them with the antidote in my arms, inserting the ship, going into the medical room but her bed is empty. Where is Viola? Where is she?"

So, another chapter is here, sorry for not updating all those months, I've been really busy. I see you like this story and I am glad about it. Thank you for the support, please vote and comment. Don't forget to stay tuned for the next chapter cause it's gonna reveal a lot of things. 

Love ya all,

Joanna