I Can Smell It

I screamed, trying to fight off my attacker.

Niki jumped off my bed, laughing like a maniac. Clutching her sides she stumbled, still laughing, out my bedroom door. Still panting, I glanced at my clock, 6:30. I groaned before collapsing back on my pillow. School.

As I tramped down the stairs, bleary eyed, I heard the radio playing in the kitchen. A cheery woman's voice was talking about the sewers. I heard her mention a clown and something about floating, when it clicked off abruptly.

Rubbing my eyes, I traveled the measly distance to the kitchen table and sat across from Niki. I could tell by the hurt way Tessa glanced over at my entry that she was still upset.

A tiny knot of guilt clumped in my chest. Running a hand through my pale hair, I picked at my food without eating much.

Niki nearly hauled me out the door the moment I stood up. "Hold on."

Niki huffed, before grabbing her bag and standing by the door, tapping a foot. Quickly, pulling on my sweatshirt and snatching my bag, I had to run to catch up to her.

"Why are you in such a hurry today?" I asked, struggling to lengthen my stride.

"Just don't want to be late."

"We left early." I glanced at her. I was suddenly acutely aware of an odd smell in the air. It reminded me of burnt metal, or at least what I thought that would smell like. I waited for it to pass, but as we got towards the school it just got stronger. "Do you smell that?"

Niki sniffed, loudly. "Smells like air." She joked.

I resisted the urge to eye roll. "No, really.  What is that?"

"Well, what does it smell like? Niki stopped and turned to me. We were right across the street from the school, now.

"Burnt metal." For the first time I noticed how nervous Niki seemed.

She shifted on her feet, slightly. "I think I'd smell that."

"Weird." I shook my head. "It's probably nothing." We started for the stairs.

"Can we meet up later?" Niki asked, and the smell seemed to sharpen.

"Yeah...?" I looked over at her.

"Cool!" She called over her shoulder as she darted up the stairs. As she left so did the smell.

I stopped, slightly dumbfounded. Glancing around I spotted the Losers. When they saw me walking over the smell spiked up again, even stronger.

"Hey, guys." My eyes went to Beverly. "And girl."

"You're not very good at starting conversations, are ya clown?" Richie, or Trashmouth as I'd heard around the school, stepped towards me.

"Beep beep Richie." Ben said.

Trying not to choke on stink, I turned to him. "Are you alright? Henry didn't get you too bad, did he?"

Ben looked up, surprised. "Yeah, I'm okay."

"How can you exist?!" Beverly cried suddenly, near hysteria as the smell stung my nose. "You're his... his... what the fuck?!" She covered her face with her hands.

Ben went to comfort her as I left them. They were looking for answers I didn't have.

🤡

The last bell of the day rang and I methodically began searching for Niki, as the waves of students carried me outside. I spotted Bill, Richie, Stan and Eddie standing by the garbage can.

They probably didn't want my company, but maybe they'd seen my cousin. As I made my way over to them I watched as the Bowers gang stalked up behind them.

I hurried forward as Henry yanked Richie back hard enough for him to slam himself and stab to the ground. Id almost made it when Patrick tossed something of Stan's into a bus driving by. I heard Belch burp into Eddie's face as Henry shoved past Bill.

The smell had been gone all day and now it was back as I jumped and grabbed Patrick's hair yanking to the ground. He yelped, more surprised than pained and Henry spun around. I stood in front of Bill and the others as Patrick darted behind his leader, who stalked forward with a grin.

"If it isn't the clown bitch." Henry stopped in front of me, standing much to close for my liking.

"Back off, Bowers." I said.

Henry seemed about to do something about the pesky girl in front of him, when the loud static of a radio came from behind me. Henry looked up and hesitated. The smell got even stronger and I realized some of it seemed to be leaking from him.

My confidence swelled as I looked back and saw Officer Bowers standing by the curb. I turned back to Henry, a slightly crazed smile on my marked face. "Afraid of Daddy?"

The smell didn't leave, but Henry leaned down and whispered into my face, breath reeking "Watch it circus freak."

As the gang stalked to Belch's car, I turned to the boys behind me. "Not bad, Ezra." Richie applauded me.

The other three thanked me as I continued my search for Niki. Deciding to go around the back of the building, I found two girls.

One had pressed the other against the wall and they were kissing enthusiastically. I froze in surprise and embarrassment. I must have made some sort of sound, because they sprung apart.

I didn't recognize the girl who'd been against the building, and only had time to see her blond hair whip around the corner before I turned to the other one.

Niki's cheeks were bright red as she wiped at the smears of the other girls lip gloss on her face. I smiled before bumping her on the shoulder playfully. "Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?"

"Uh...." Niki shuffled her feet, before quickly saying. "What's new with you?"

"I figured out that smell from earlier." I said, fully intending to question my cousin on the way home.

"What was it?"

"Fear."

A thank you to CosmicFish42