Part 5

"I'm offended you didn't tell me, you were coming." Christine said as soon as Stevie opened the door. 

"I'm sorry." Stevie offered a weak smile, giving Christine a hug before showing her to come inside. "I was on a mission."

"So I've been told." Chris nodded once, handing Stevie a bottle of wine. "How did it go?"

Stevie sighed, shrugging her shoulders. She took a moment, looking for a corkscrew, while Christine got two glasses for them. "Lindsey said, he was tired. He wanted to leave."

"Oh..." Christine's eyebrows creased as the two of them went to take a seat. "I've noticed a change in his behavior."

"You have?" That piqued Stevie's interest. "He promised me, we'd talked after The Classic East."

Christine grew quiet and Stevie knew she was wondering whether to say whatever was on her mind or not. They'd known each other for years, neither could hide things from the other very well. Getting more comfortable, Christine drew invisible patterns on the coach, avoiding Stevie's stare.

"I think he's really been enjoying himself on this tour." Yes, because that was what Stevie wanted to hear. "It's not as complicated as touring with Fleetwood Mac is. It's simpler, easier. But..."

"But?" Stevie echoed anxiously. 

"Lindsey misses you. I can tell." Christine said. "I'm not saying our performances aren't genuine. We interact whether it's just him and I or it's us with Fleetwood Mac, but he's been doing more of it lately, because you're not there, standing in the center of the stage." Taking a sip of her wine, Christine continued. "Despite saying he doesn't miss the drama element of Fleetwood Mac, he's probably as dramatic as you are." Christine chuckled and Stevie wanted to deny that, but there wasn't anything to deny. "I think, Lindsey needs you there alongside with him. Doing shows with me is too much like doing them with Fleetwood Mac. I see myself as a sort of reminder of what this tour could have been."

"Then why is he so mean to me, Chris? If Lindsey misses me, why is he pushing me away?" A hint of desperation in Stevie's voice. "I just don't get it..."

"Apparently you don't." Christine shook her head. "That's exactly the reason why, Stevie. He's angry, because you are not there and he wants you to be. That's all, that's the mystery solved."

Stevie scoffed, taking a gulp rather than a sip from her glass. "Really?"

"Well, that and you still love each other."

"Why do people keep saying that?" Stevie exclaimed, sounding annoyed. 

"You know why?" Christine raised an eyebrow, then smirked. "Because it's true."

Shaking her head, Stevie exhaled heavily and finished off her wine. Reaching for the bottle she poured a generous amount for herself, while Christine surprisingly wasn't halfway done yet. 

"Is there anything else going on with him, Chris?" Stevie calmed down and genuine care for Lindsey spoke up again. 

"Not that I know of." Christine replied. "I mean..."

"Yeah?" 

"I think it's got something to do with the wife."

"Please, do elaborate!" Stevie showed for Christine to continue.

"I don't know anything for sure, but Lindsey's been on the phone a lot with her and they argue all the time."

"Yeah and?"

"And that's it." Christine shrugged. "I told you, I don't know anything. It's just something I've noticed."

Resting against the back of the couch, Stevie cocked her head back, sighing. "All couples argue. That doesn't necessarily mean anything." Christine gave Stevie a look, not saying anything. "What?"

"You care."

"Well, of course I care about Lindsey."

"No." Christine shook her head. "Not like that. Stevie, you still have feelings for him."

"I-" She stopped. She was talking to one of her best friends'. "Is it possible for me not to feel anything, Chris? We've been in each other's lives since we were sixteen, seventeen years old. We were in love, we lived together. We were as good as married for a long time. He and I have been through so much..."

"That's exactly my point." Christine smiled, reaching for Stevie's hand and giving a gentle squeeze. "It isn't possible."

"But that's why I hate our current situation. What else, you know? What else is there for us to suffer through? I wish we could be friends at last. If... if we can't be more than that, I want to be Lindsey's friend."

Giving Stevie a sympathetic look, Christine put down her wine and scooted closer to her friend, giving her a hug. "I'm sure he thinks of you as more than just his friend, Stevie. Like you said, you know him, probably better than anyone. Lindsey's a complicated man."

"You can say that again!" Stevie laughed, wiping under her eyes with the back of her hand. "I do love him still..." She admitted, casting her eyes down.

Christine half smiled, nodding her head. "You think, I don't know that?"

"I'm really glad Karen made me call you. I needed to spend time with you."

"At your service." Chris winked. "We should do this more often. I'm happy you came to one of our shows, it means a lot."

"Well, you're welcome to visit me in Australia." Stevie joked.

"I just might!" Christine nudged Stevie, a smirk on her face. "Who knows, maybe I'll have to sort another one of your crisis."