Part 18

Lindsey couldn't sit still. Since the moment Stevie walked out the door, he was wandering from one corner of the house to the other. He told her, he was done waiting, he told her, he wanted her. They were back together. They were together again. Sure it had to mean something to Stevie? She wouldn't go behind his back now, right? She might had had feelings for Jack, but she was in love with Lindsey. She was. That was what Lindsey kept telling himself, trying to convince himself, because he couldn't help but worry. 

It had been hours since Stevie left. What was there for the two of them to talk about? The way Lindsey saw it, a cup of coffee had to have given them enough time. Something was going on, he was sure about it. She lied to him, she wasn't honest. She wasn't over Jack. 

Lindsey wasn't sure how much longer he kept obsessing until he heard a car pulling into the driveway. He went over to the window and pulled the curtains open just a little. He had the perfect view of Jack walking around the front of his car and opening the door for Stevie. He held his hand out and she took it, climbing out, a smile on her face. Still holding hands, they were very slowly approaching the house until Jack stopped them. Stepping in front of her, Jack started telling her something, Lindsey cursed, because he couldn't make it out what he was saying. Before long, Jack cupped Stevie's cheek and lowered his head, his lips pressing against hers. Without hesitation her arms wrapped around him and his did around her. Lindsey couldn't believe his eyes - the full on make out session he was witnessing. 

Lindsey desperately wanted to look away, but he couldn't, his eyes glued to the scene. His heart ached. He genuinely didn't think Stevie could do this. She must have done this on purpose too, maybe she hoped he'd see, because certainly they weren't hiding from anyone's eyes. When the pair pulled apart at last, they spent a moment looking at each other lovingly, a grin across Jack's face. Stevie's back was facing Lindsey, but he guessed her expression mirrored Jack's.

"Lindsey. Lindsey. Lindsey!" He felt someone pinch him and his eyes flew open as he sat up in bed, in the middle of the night. 

"Was I dreaming?" It took Lindsey a moment to realize where he was and what time it was before he asked, breathing heavily.

"I'd say it was no dream, a nightmare maybe." Stevie rubbed circles across his back, as she then got up and sat on her heels behind him, placing both her hands on his tense shoulders, massaging them.

"Oh, it was a nightmare." Lindsey nodded his head, running a hand through his curls. "I dreamed that you were with Jack. That you didn't come home for hours, then I saw you two making out."

"Linds..." Stevie kissed in between his shoulder blades. "You don't have to worry about that anymore, I told you." She kissed the same spot again, before crawling in front of him, making herself comfortable between his legs, Lindsey's arms instantly circling around her. "I'm here. I'm with you. Jack's gone."

"I know. I know." He repeated himself. "I guess, I'm just afraid."

"Of what, baby?" Stevie looked up, but Lindsey's eyes were focused elsewhere.

"I'm scared that something's going to happen. We asked ourselves, what else is there, standing in our way? Then Jack popped out of nowhere. It's like... it's like we're just not meant to be happy together."

"Don't say that. Besides, I've only been that serious with Jack. There's no one else, who could threaten our relationship. I promise you." Stevie lifted one of his hands up to her lips and kissed each knuckle. "You have to believe in us, Linds. Sure, maybe relationships aren't supposed to be that hard, but don't you think it's worth it? It has to be if after fifty or however many years it's been, we're still here right now, in each other's arms, still in love." 

Lindsey grew quiet, processing her words, before he eventually nodded his head and a smile crossed his face. "You are worth it."