PART 2 : CHAPTER 5

Hours past. No one knew what time it was or how long they had been there, but it seemed that the whole company had quickly given up hope.

"I'll wager the sun's on the rise," Bofur called out to anyone listening. "It must be nearly dawn," he whined.

Then Ori's pitiful voice was heard as he said, "We're never going to reach the mountain, are we?"

"Do not give up hope, Ori," Elvira called out, but her voice was tired and monotonous, her back once again against the stone wall. Her legs were pulled in and her elbows rested on her knees. She felt emotionally drained after all that had happened upon her return to Mirkwood, and yet, she felt lighter. As though a weight was lifted off her shoulders.

"She's right, we'll never get to the mountain stuck in here!" a voice called out, and a figure appeared, as if from thin air, outside of Ori and Bofur's cell.

"Bilbo!" Balin exclaimed happily. Elvira jumped to her feet quickly, meeting Fili at the door to their cell as they both gripped the metal bars that separated them from their escape. The scuffling heard from other cells signaled that many others were getting up quickly as well. Bilbo shook a large ring of keys in the air with a grin before unlocking the door to the cell.

Soon enough, everyone's cell was unlocked and Bilbo made his way quickly to Fili and Elvira. The cell door opened with a groan, and Fili darted out. Elvira made to exit right after, but a large hand halted her. She looked down at the hand on her chest and then up in surprise, her eyes meeting with Thorin's dark ones.

"You are not to come along," he growled lowly.

"What?" Elvira hissed.

"Uncle," Fili pleaded, but he stopped when Thorin put a hand up to silence him.

"You associate yourself with all of our enemies, I will not have a traitor in our midst any longer. You are not coming with us," he said, his voice low and dark. Elvira's jaw dropped slightly.

"Uncle, stop this," Kili said, coming close to Thorin, who hadn't taken his hand off of Elvira yet. "Do you realize how many times she has saved our lives? Your life?" he paused. "We need her," he whispered strongly. Thorin clenched his jaw, his eyes never leaving Elvira's grey one that shown a look of hurt. After a moment of his silent brooding, he nodded once, abruptly.

"Fine," he growled again. He shoved a stocky finger into her shoulder, and momentarily shoved her back. "But know, ranger," he spat, "You lost my trust long ago. You will never be a part of the company."

She stood, silent, her eyes daring him to say something else. He turned away after one more moment. "C'mon, we need to go," he gruffly whispered to the rest of the group. Elvira swallowed a lump in her throat that dared to rise as she watched his retreating figure with a solemn look.

She met the dark eyes of one of the only people she knew trusted her, except this time, something was different. He looked at her with indifference for only a moment, before he shook his head slightly, his eyes casting towards the ground as he walked away. Her eyebrows furrowed. What could she possibly have done wrong this time?

"Eli," Bilbo said, watching her with concern. She snapped out of her gaze, and with a small smile, which Bilbo knew was not real, she patted him on the shoulder gently and walked out of the cell to follow the others.

"Not that way!" Bilbo whispered loudly, making the entire group stop walking in the direction they were to turn back to him. "Follow me," he said, pushing towards the front of the group and led them down a stone corridor of steps.