CHAPTER FOUR

GOODNESS

"Why do you need my help?" Charlotte asked Lonnie, aware that her voice was bordering on whiney but too tired to care.

"Because you're better at editing than Crystal or Lilian," Lonnie replied, not tearing her eyes away from the computer as she typed rapidly.

Charlotte laid her head on the desk and shut her eyes. "But why —" she paused to yawn "— do you have to do it so early?"

When she didn't immediately get a reply she cracked an eye open and saw Lonnie looking at her incredulously, still typing albeit at a slower pace. "It's ten," the other girl said.

The princess shrugged. "I don't have any classes today until after lunch," she replied, shutting her eyes again. "I'm usually still asleep this time."

"Well suck it up, princess," Lonnie said, a smirk evident in her voice.

Charlotte groaned at her predictability. Her friend knew that being called a princess was a sure way to get Charlotte to do something to prove the person wrong. She opened her eyes and sat up, looking at Lonnie's computer screen.

"Do you need my skills now or..."

Lonnie rolled her eyes. "Just watch the screen and see if I make any glaring errors," she said, resuming her lightning-speed typing. "I'll get you to do a full edit after I write the last hundred words."

Charlotte did as she was told, reading carefully over Lonnie's shoulder and occasionally pointing out mistakes. After a while it actually became a strangely relaxing task. The computer lab was nearly empty, only a few students working silently, and the atmosphere was peaceful.

As Lonnie was trying to write a good concluding sentence Jane speedily walked through the computer lab, only catching Charlotte's attention because of the squeak she made as she entered the classroom behind it.

Charlotte leaned back in her chair slightly and her eyes widened when she got a clear view of the classroom. Fairy Godmother was teaching at the front, Jane talking to her, and there were five students seated.

The villain kid's.

She dug her elbow into Lonnie's side. The other girl let out a yelp and was no doubt scowling at her. "What the hell?" she said. "I just got inspiration and now I've lost it."

"Look," was all Charlotte said, pointing to the classroom.

Lonnie's eyes widened as well when she caught a glimpse of the students.

"How did we not notice?" she questioned, her voice quieter than before.

Charlotte shrugged. The villain kid's didn't seem to be doing anything too nefarious, just sitting there and taking notes or something, but Jane looked terrified as she ran out, another squeak escaping her.

"Hey, Jane," Lonnie said as the girl walked past.

"Hi Lonnie, hi Charlotte," Jane said quickly, sounding a bit out of breath and nervous. She didn't stop, just sped past them.

Honestly, Jane being nervous wasn't exclusive to the villain kid's; the girl got nervous about everything. But Charlotte had never seen her so close to throwing up in fear since a school dance when they were ten and she had been asked for a dance from Ben.

From the classroom came the sounds of loud voices and desks moving so both the girls refocused their attention there.

Two of the boys — Jay and Harley — were wrestling on top of a table while the two girls laughed and Carlos egged them on. Fairy Godmother got their attention back and continued her lesson, forcing the boys to return to their seats.

The entertainment factor of watching the villain kid's dropped almost instantly as they did nothing but answer questions Fairy Godmother gave them, so the girl's returned to Lonnie's essay.

Lonnie was leaning back as Charlotte edited the full essay when Crystal sat beside them. "Hey guys," she said cheerfully, placing her bag on the floor. "How's the essay-writing going?"

"Stressfully," Lonnie replied, grinning at her friend.

"Look's like it," Crystal said, a hint of sarcasm in her sweet voice.

Charlotte gasped dramatically as she turned to look at her friend. "Did the purest princess in Auradon just say something not explicitly nice?" she asked with mock awe in her voice.

"Shush up," Crystal said with a sheepish grin. Charlotte laughed at her friends' inability to say 'shut up' and turned back to the essay, letting the conversation the other two girls were having become background noise as she edited Lonnie's abysmal grammar.

Just as she reached the final paragraph the computer room became silent, throwing her off her rhythm. She stopped typing and lifted her head, seeing everyone subtly looking at the VK's as they left their classroom. They were either oblivious to the attention or didn't care — Charlotte was banking on the second option — because they ignored all the students around them. Mal dropped a piece of chewed up gum on the floor and snickered when she saw a younger student accidentally step in it.

Charlotte rolled her eyes at them, not trying to hide the fact that she was staring. Evie, who was touching up her lip gloss and looking at her reflection in a small mirror, noticed and smirked at the princess. Before Charlotte could give a witty retort (or what she hoped would have been a witty retort) they had left, Harley's footprints singed into the carpet.

"I hope one of them trips over," Charlotte said as the noise in the room returned. She turned back to the essay, not noticing that neither of her friends answered. She also didn't notice the uncomfortable looks they shared.

* * *

This was a filler chapter but you got some lonnie and crystal content so I'd count it as a win

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please vote and comment if you did :)