2: The Box

As the days went by, things were normal. I woke up, walked to campus with Dante and Travis, had my first class with them and Blaze, Aphmau, and Katelyn, had my other classes, went to lunch with my friends, and finished my school day. I would end up going back to my dorm with Travis already taking a nap on his bunk, take a fifteen minute break, call my family at home, then do my work. Sometimes I would do things after with my friends but, not usually. We're all pretty busy with things.

Like perusal, I was walking back to the dorms, enjoying the afternoon.  The shops were open and families were enjoying their after work and school activities. I had a bag of take out in my hand for Travis since he usually wakes up around five when he can't get food himself without not finishing his homework. I always astonished me on how he finished it all.

"Hey! Give it back!"

I looked over to my right to see the school's bully Zenix picking on a little kid. I swear, he needs an actual hobby. He seemed to have taken a bag of groceries from him, taking out things, inspecting them, then putting them back in.

"You don't have much in here, do ya kid," He said.

"My parents told me that I needed to buy them," He says. "They trusted me with there money! I'll be in so much trouble if you take them!"

He only laughed at the struggling little boy. His dark blue hair and matching eyes seemed to be messy and panicked. It seemed he was on the brink of tears. I had to do something.

"Hey!"

"Oh look, it's the nerd. What you gonna do blondie? Tell on me?"

I sighed, tightening my fist.

"Don't you have anything better to do then bother this kid?"

"Heh, this is way more fun."

"Zenix, please give back the bag."

"Make me."

I didn't want to hit him. That would make a scene. It seemed I couldn't talk him out of it. I held out the take out food.

"Take this instead."

He raised an eyebrow, seemed shocked I didn't punch him. He smirked and snatched it out of my hand and gave me the groceries.

"Thanks for the trade," He chuckled, walking away.

I rolled my eyes and knelt down to the boy.

"Here you go. Be more careful," I say sincerely.

"Thank you sir!"

I heard a loud honk, making my head turn.

"Sorry, do you need-"

He was gone.

•••

"I'm sorry Travis," I sighed.

"It's fine dude," He chuckled. "You did the right thing."

"Thanks..."

He hops back into bed and in a few moments I hear him snore. I rolled my eyes and sat down at my desk. I started to pull out my stuff until I saw a small box at the bottom of my bag. Confused I pulled it out. It was black with blue details on it. I was about to ask Travis if it was his but, I remembered he was asleep. I slowly opened it to see a cross necklace inside. It was very beautiful but, simple. I set the box down and put the necklace around my neck. Then, I got a zap on my chest. I jumped a bit, making Travis jump but, he immediately fell back down. How does he not hit his head on that top bunk? I sighed and tried to take off the necklace.

It wouldn't budge off the back of my neck. It was like it molded on to my skin. I started to panic. What if it was someone else's and it got in my bag somehow? Now I would have to tell them that I couldn't get off a piece of jewelry!

Idiot...

I froze. I looked up to see Travis still sleeping but, no else.

"Who's there," I whispered

It's a voice inside your head. No one is here.

The voice sounded old and raspy. Almost like Harrison Ford...

Are you Harrison Ford?

...Great I got a fanboy. No you weirdo! I'm just your holder.

Holder?

I'm the spirit who came with the ring. Congrats! You're superboy!

What?

Sorry. The last one was a huge Superman fan...are you gonna be like Ben Solo or something?

Last one? I'm so confused.

Okay. With your necklace, you are granted powers like a superhero. My master decided you were the one.

My mind was running with so many questions like, who was this? Who is this master? Superhero? Who was-

Superboy?

Wait! Did you say superboy?

Yes.

I remember. He was this some mythical being that people said could hold up buildings. He was around when I was...five? He was pretty much a huge thing back then and nobody could go around not knowing his name...sadly, he was announced dead when he was trying to save a school from a bombing.

He's not dead. Just was ready to give up the position.

What do you mean?

I mean that it was a scam. He was getting older and wanted to live the rest of his life.

I see...what am I suppose to do exactly?

Just save the world if it needs to be saved.

Okay...what's your name?

Ekon. You?

Garroth.

Well, this is going to be a beautiful friendship Garroth.

Word Count
877