👶9

Chapter 9

Luke

"Two guys in one night, that's pretty impressive," Calum said with a grin. We were sitting on the steps to his house. He was most certainly going to be late but he didn't go for some reason. I'd probably be happier if he did, because I was worried a tinge of awkwardness might fill the air.

"Y-yeah," I laughed. "Sorry I don't know why I... don't you need to go?"

Calum sighed light-heartedly, patting my head. "Yeah, I probably should, shouldn't I? But hey, let me just set something straight. I don't know if you were hoping for anything, but I'm really not looking for a relationship right now. I can just see myself not being able to commit and you're such a sweet guy that I don't want that to happen to you."

"Does this change anything? Because I still want to help you out when I can." My thumbs were fiddling away behind my back, fervently trying to cover up the intense embarrassment I'd yet again experienced.

His lips curved up into a smile. "Don't worry, I'm a very forgiving person. Anyway, I'll see you later, all right?" He waved as his figure diminished down the street into the darkness. I turned on my heel and went inside, turning on the light in the living room. I sat on the sofa Calum and I played scrabble on, and touched my lips.

I'd never been so audacious till today. Honest. My first kiss was with this girl in year 8 – we went to the furthest place on the field and I tried to stick my tongue in her mouth and she pushed me away and that was the end of that.

Whilst I may not have done the same to Calum just now, it certainly felt like we'd exchanged something more intimate than a peck on the lips. They still moulded together like soft dough, and I could feel remnants of his saliva on my dry lips.

I was glad he didn't get angry or awkward. He was so chill, like I'd never be able to do that. If some younger kid kissed me I would probably push them away and throw up. Then again, I wasn't exactly a stranger to Calum, was I?

In attempt to get him out of my mind, I got out my textbook and tried taking some notes in my messy scrawl. I even dared to put some music on quietly, hoping the two kids upstairs wouldn't wake up – only about three songs into my playlist, Ellis had wormed his way into the living room and was looking at me with glistening eyes.

"You shouldn't be awake," I said coldly. I wasn't really fussed but I had to say something right?

He pouted, perching on my lap and forcing me to put my pen down. "Why couldn't you come and look after us earlier! Why only after we went to bed?"

"I don't know. Your dad got called? I just came because he asked me to."

"Do you like my dad?"

I immediately went hot and my cheeks must've gone red too. "What are you even saying? You should go back to bed – do you want me to read you a story?"

"I thought you couldn't read?"

"Um, I was lying."

"You didn't answer my question!"

His voice was getting louder and louder and I didn't want the other one to come waddling down either, so I shushed him. "It doesn't matter. Your dad doesn't want to like anyone right now."

Ellis rolled his eyes in a five-year-old way (i.e. with increased exaggeration) and shook his head. "Adults are so weird. Okay well can you read me a story then?"

"Go on then."

Calum

When I got home, Luke's stuff was sprawled out on the sofa, but he was nowhere to be seen. I checked the kitchen, bathroom, even my own room – but I found him asleep on the floor with his head on the bed next to Ellis', an open book in front of them both. A smile crept across my face again. I quickly took a picture with my phone, and grabbed a pillow and blanket, lifting Luke's head onto the pillow and placing a blanket over him. His body would probably be sore tomorrow morning but I didn't want to wake him.