Chapter 6

"To our girl, the college graduate," Clint said, raising his glass to meet yours and Everett's in a toast. After your ceremony, you had insisted on taking them both out to celebrate, your treat, as a reward for suffering right along with you for all those years. The bar was packed full of people, a lot of whom you recognized from campus. You had been lucky enough to claim a nice little corner table where you were less likely to get bumped into by the increasingly rowdy drunks crowded around the bartender.

"So, are you going to get your master's degree now?" Everett asked with a coy look on his face, as if he already knew the answer.

"Hell no," you said taking a sip of your mixed drink.

"Thank God," Clint replied. "I couldn't survive it. Besides, it's not like it would help with the job we do anyway. She already knows how to shoot and not miss. What more does she need?"

"She could move up to a lot more if she wanted to," Everett said. As soon as it came out of his mouth, you sensed the beginnings of a fight.

"Is there something wrong with what we do now?" Clint asked. "SHIELD wouldn't last long without its field operatives. You would do well to remember that."

"I do remember that. But what are the two of you planning on doing when you turn forty? Fifty? You going to wear eyeglasses just so you can aim? Fight people half your age?"

"Guys," you started, reaching to grab each of them by the hand, "tonight is supposed to a happy occasion. No bickering, please?"

"Okay, no bickering," they both mumbled in unison.

You were distracted from their replies by an unwelcome familiar face entering the bar.

"Oh no, not her. Maybe she won't see me....damn it," you said as you saw her spot you and wave before starting in your direction.

"Who is it?" Everett asked.

"A girl from school. Her name is Brandi. She's nothing but trouble. She used to try to talk my ear off all the time about all the hearts she's broken. It took a great deal of self-control to not threaten to kill her if she didn't shut up. I swear if she tries anything with either one of you I'll-"

"Hey, y/n!" Brandi began. "I haven't seen you in awhile. How have you been?"

You stared at her as she sat down like she had been invited. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your friends?" She asked, somehow checking out Clint and Everett at the same time.

Before you could say anything, she went ahead and introduced herself to both of your boys. As you watched her, you couldn't help but think about which method of killing her would be the most enjoyable.

"So y/n never mentioned having any cute guy friends...what do you do for a living?" She had her chin propped on her hand and had her full attention focused on Clint at the moment. He must have been her first choice.

"I kill people," Clint said as matter-of-factly as anybody had ever said anything.

She giggled that annoying giggle you hated so much.

"You're picking on me," she said, slapping him gently on his arm and letting it linger there. "Now be serious."

"Oh he was being serious," Everett said. "And she helps him," he added with a nod in your direction.

The smile quickly faded from her face. She stared at you and you could almost see the wheels turning in her mind. She said nothing else, but got up as fast as she could and rejoined the people she came with, leading them as far from you and your group as possible.

"I love you guys so much," you said as best as you could while laughing your head off. "You won't believe how happy I am that neither one of you idiots went for her."

Clint gave you such a serious expression that it stopped your laughter. "You're irreplaceable," he said. "I couldn't go after any girl that would drive a wedge between us, no matter what the reason."

Then he got a sly smile before adding, "Besides she wasn't my type, and I know for a fact she wasn't Everett's because-Ow!"

You jumped in your seat when Clint howled out in pain, especially since you never saw the source of it, but only felt the movement under the table.

"What the hell, man?" Clint asked. "Not cool."

Everett just made a "Shut up. Stop talking now." look before saying out loud "Why don't we all just play a game of pool?"

"You know I'll win. I never miss," Clint replied.

"It'll be fun anyway," you said. "And since you're so confident, it can be two against one. Loser pays for dinner on the way home."

———————————————————————————————————

"You guys really aren't going to talk to me, huh?" Clint asked as he stuffed the end of an egg roll in his mouth. You and Everett hadn't spoken to him since he won the game of pool. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if he hadn't kept rubbing it in. He was sitting in the backseat of the car digging into his free meal before he even got home.

"I didn't think you would be childish enough to pout this long. I'm really disappointed."

The pair of you stayed totally silent until you got home, but when you reached for the doorknob and found it unlocked, it was time to drop the game. Clint handed you the bag of food and went back to the car to get your spare handguns. Once all of you were armed, you proceeded to enter the house single file. The only intruder you found, however, was Phil Coulson sitting in the living room eating potato chips and watching tv.

"You couldn't announce yourself?" You asked. "We could have shot you."

"Sorry, my mouth was full. I needed to talk to you guys, but you weren't picking up the phone and I didn't know where you went, so I decided to come here and wait for you to come home. It's an emergency. We need to go in at once."

————————————————————————————————————