Chapter 7

"So now that we're all here, will you tell us what's happened?" You asked Coulson as you entered the Command Center. The team had upgraded twice from the tiny office you started in years ago.

"I would, but I don't know what it is yet either. And there will be somebody else joining us this time."

The three of you exchanged confused looks. No one had ever joined you in your missions before. This had to mean that something very big or very bad was going on.

Just in time to confirm your suspicions, Agent Nick Fury walked through the door. You hadn't seen very much of him since your first meeting, except for the occasional encounter in the hallway where he and his dramatic coat were hard to miss.

"Sit down," was the only greeting he offered.

After you all sat down, he said, "Our research facility in Arizona was infiltrated two hours ago. As far as we can tell, they only took one thing. But that one thing was the center of everything we were working on. We were still in the early phases of development, but they took all of our blueprints. It isn't starting over that we're concerned with, it's those plans in the wrong hands. We need them back now."

"No offense, sir," Clint began, "but isn't this the kind of thing the Alpha team would usually handle?"

"They were handling it." Fury answered. "They were the ones guarding the facility. You're the best I've got available now."

Somehow that wasn't a reassuring thought.

"Do we know who took them?" You asked.

"We think it was the KGB. We recognized someone from the security footage. She's known to work with them."

"What was it that they took, exactly? The blueprints to what?" Everett asked.

"You don't have high enough security clearance to have access to that information."

"So how are we supposed to find something when we don't know what we're looking for or where it went?" Everett continued.

You were surprised to hear him almost talking back to a senior agent. But if he was thinking what you were thinking, you'd feel a lot more comfortable knowing what you were looking for in advance.

"I want you to catch them in transit, which means it will be the only thing on them. As to where they went, one of our agents was quick enough to slip a tracking device on his opponent during the fight. They came in small numbers and used ground transport which means they'll have to meet up with someone else in order to get back home. I want you to cut them off before they get there. I have some rookie teams you can use for extra firepower. You're all going out in the field on this one, so suit up and be ready to go in ten."

———————————————————————————————————————

"What do you think?" You asked Clint as you sat down beside him in the plane.

"It's going to be ugly. If he's talking about who I think he's talking about, she's already getting quite the reputation to be so young."

"The redhead?" You asked, already knowing what his answer would be. The pair of you had encountered the remains of her handiwork before. From what you had heard about her, she was younger than you were and she worked like she had been raised to do it. You knew it wouldn't be long until SHIELD sent someone to eliminate her.

You watched as he simply nodded his head in agreement. Something about her had always bothered him, but he never said what it was and you never asked. For some reason, you felt like he would volunteer it when the time came.