Chapter 16

You awoke suddenly in the middle of the night to the sound of your cell phone ringing. Considering almost everyone who had the number was currently asleep in the same house as you, your first thought was that it must have been Clint. Rolling over in your bed, you quickly grabbed the phone up and didn't take the time to look at the number.

"Clint?" Was the first thing you said when you answered.

"No, it isn't Clint. It's me," a familiar voice said through the phone.

"Everett?" You asked.

Of course it was Everett. He was the one you had sent that second phone to. Steve wasn't the only person sending out olive branches and trying to repair relationships.

"Yes...were you asleep?"

"Yeah, it's nighttime here. What's up?"

"Let me start by saying this isn't a personal call, but I do need to ask you for a favor."

You noticed that his voice sounded much colder and more detached than you had remembered. Apparently he was still upset about what happened in Germany. This was the first time you had spoken to him since then.

"What is it?"

"I've got something I've got to do, and I need somebody with me that I can trust."

Although you knew you would regret asking, you also knew you didn't have a choice. After all, you had other people to worry about besides yourself.

"This isn't just an elaborate trap to catch the Avengers, is it?"

"Do you really think I would stoop that low?" He asked. You could hear the disappointment and bitterness in his voice when he said it.

"No, I don't. But I'm responsible for these people. I had to ask."

"Can I count on you or not? You're the one who told me to call you if I needed you. You sent me a phone, not the other way around."

"What do you need?"

"Can you come to South Korea?"

"When?"

"Immediately."

"That's not much notice, but yeah I'll be there."

"Good. Call me when you arrive. We'll make additional arrangements." Then he hung up.

———————————————

"Where are you going?" You heard Wanda ask from somewhere behind you while you packed your bag.

"South Korea...an old friend needs my help. I told him to count me in."

"It's too risky. Someone might recognize you. You could get caught."

"I know, but I owe it to him," you said, hoisting your bag onto your shoulder.

"Steve and Sam won't like it," she said, still standing in the doorway. You knew if she decided to stop you from going, there wasn't much you would be able to do about it.

"You're right. They won't like it. Sam will say it's a stupid idea. Steve will understand, but he'll worry the whole time I'm gone. And if he was awake, he would try to stop me too."

"I won't stop you," she said, walking forward and pulling you into a hug. "But I will worry about you."

You returned her hug and stroked her hair while she rested her head on your shoulder.

"Hey, I'll be fine. It'll just be a couple of days and I'll be right back."

"You better be," she said with a sniffle. "I don't want to lose any more family."