ii // ryan

july|1983

july|1983

yoongi had never been the brightest when it came to other people's feelings. he had never had a serious relationship with anyone before, likely because most people were intimidated by him. even at thirteen, the boy tended to give off a sort of unapproachable vibe. despite this, people were drawn to him. they wanted his attention; his acceptance and affection.

jimin was no exception. in fact, the poor young boy was worse off than most. he had fallen deep into yoongi's trap and the older boy hadn't even noticed. jimin was worried he was going to be caught literally stalking the group of older boys. he decided he wouldn't let his fears stop him this time. even if he never got up the courage to approach the older boy, little jimin was dead set on watching him closely. as closely as he could from behind a tree.

7.22.83 friday

it's been almost a week since yoongi found me at the courts. i have been very careful not to let him catch me again, though i don't think he's really been looking. he probably already thinks i'm a weirdo. just like the others...

jimin tended to make himself sad often. He would think a little too much, remember things that rude people had said to him in the past. the small boy deserved so much better than to be watching his own tear drops soak into the pages of his diary-notebook.

diaries are for girls. girls and faggots.

"you're back."

jimin probably set a record for how high a person has jumped in fright.

"i didn't mean to scare you."

the small boy shook his head and wiped his tears with his sleeves. "it-it's okay. i just, um, wasn't expecting you."

jimin tried to sit still as the older boy looked him over. "are you hurt?"

"i- hurt? um, n-no, i-i'm fine!" yoongi's brows furrowed.

"then why are you crying?"

"crying? i'm not crying."

"you were crying, kid." jimin blushed. kid. that had a horrible ring to it.

"i'm not a kid." yoongi raised a brow. "and i wasn't crying."

"alright, if you say so." yoongi raised his hands in surrender, before sitting down next to the boy. "so, other than not crying, what are you doing back here?"

jimin squirmed under the taller boys intense gaze. "i am... not doing anything."

"you aren't doing anything?" the smaller boy nodded. "you're sitting alone behind a tree in the park, doing nothing... crying?"

"i wasn't crying." yoongi's lips twitched into a small smile.

"sorry, you were sitting alone, not crying, behind a tree?" jimin blushes and looked into his lap where he had subconsciously began picking at the skin beside his nails.

"yes."

"and why is that?" jimin glanced up at the older boy before looking back down at the grass below him.

"you ask a lot of questions." the small boy began picking at his fingers again.

"i'm curious." yoongi watched the younger's actions closely.

"about me?" pick.

"yes."

"why?" pick.

yoongi watched, jaw clenched.

pick.

a large hand grabbed jimin's tiny one, stopping him from hurting himself. "because a cute kid like you shouldn't be out here all alone, you know, not crying."

jimin could have melted. "o-oh." yoongi hadn't let go of his hand. "y-your friends, won't they be looking for you?"

"they will survive." jimin looked up at yoongi, entranced by his stare. while intimidating the tiny boy, yoongi was simultaneously melting his heart inside his chest. jimin looked down at yoongi's hand on his arm. it easily wrapped almost completely around his wrist. before either boy could make another move, one of the sixth grade boys ran into their view.

"there you are, yoongi, we've been looking for you." jimin was disappointed when his arm was released, as if he expected yoongi to dismiss his friend and stay with the young boy in the grass behind the tree.

"i'll be there in a second." the boy nodded and jogged away. yoongi turned toward his admirer. "are you going to be okay?"

"y-yes, why wouldn't i?" yoongi raised an eyebrow, but didn't mention the state he found the boy in again. jimin appreciated it.

"if you say so." yoongi stood, brushing the grass off himself. "you really shouldn't pick at your fingers like that. wouldn't want your pretty skin to be all torn up."

yoongi rejoined his friends for the walk home while jimin melted into the dirt beneath him.