|«3»|

It had been a month since Jaehyun's relationship started that Sicheng had a breakdown. He had tried his best to keep his emotions in check, but Jaehyun didn't make it easy. Mark would join them for lunch every day and he would join their usual study lesson every other day. As expected, Jaehyun would still bring up Mark every time he had a chance, and the two of them would share small kisses or sweet words when they thought no one was looking. But they were wrong, Sicheng was always looking. To add to the pain, Jaehyun would call Sicheng his best friend whenever Mark tried to engage in a conversation with him; not that Sicheng made it easy for him, he would just nod and keep his answers short and dry.

The crew was gathered at Johnny's and Ten's apartment. Not only was it the biggest, but it was the only place where they could fit without having to sit on top of each other. They were in the middle of dinner when Sicheng broke down. The reason? Jaehyun.

"Mark, do you have a best friend?"

"Best friend? I do, why?"

"We have something like a tradition on Christmas day, we go camping and exchange gifts with each other but instead of sharing a tent with our partners we share it with our best friend. Now that you and Jaehyun are together we thought that maybe you should join us, and your best friend too. Well if you don't have plans for Christmas Eve."

"I think we'll be both free, but let me check on him and I'll tell you my answer."

"Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it this year, Yuta and Ten are in charge of it this year."

"You guys take turns?"

"Yes, the first year it was Johnny and Taeil, last year Taeyong and I planned it. This year it would be Yuta and Ten, and next year it would be Jaehyun and Sicheng's turn."

"How do you guys choose who's going to plan it?"

"We do it by age and by best friend groups. Sicheng and I are the youngest, that's why we are in charge next year. Not only are we the youngest but we are also best friends. Right, Sicheng?"

Jaehyun wrapped an arm around Sicheng, a smile adorning his features. Sicheng should have nodded in agreement and smile back at his friend, instead, a knot formed in his throat and his eyes pooled with tears.  Best friends... the words kept on repeating themselves in his head like a broken record, and then he lost it. He started shaking as a sob escaped his mouth; the tears running none stop down his face. He didn't dare to look up, but he knew everyone in the room was looking at him. He could feel the concerned eyes on him, the sad ones and the confused ones. The room had fallen quiet; his sobs filling the emptiness.

"Sicheng, what's wrong? Talk to me. You know you can talk to me about anything, you're my best friend..."

There it was that word again. Best friend. Sicheng was tired of hearing that word.

"I don't want to be your best friend..."-he muttered

"What did you say?"

"I don't want to be your best friend!" -Sicheng snapped, standing up and finally looking at Jaehyun's confused eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"It means that I don't want to see you again."

"What? Why?"

"Because I hate you; I don't want to see you again."

"Because you hate me? That's not a reason to for you to ask me to do that. Give me a good a reason and I'll give you my opinion."

"You want a reason? Fine, I'll give you a reason. I don't want to see you again because I like you. No, I love you. I don't want to see you again because you gave me false hope when you kissed me that night at my sister's wedding. And you don't even remember it. I don't want to see you again because it hurts to see you with someone else. I don't want to see you again because I'm a fool who's in love with you and it hurts to know that you'll never reciprocate my feelings. Is that reason enough for you?"-Sicheng was met with complete silence and a wide-eyed Jaehyun-"That's what I thought.."

He didn't wait any longer, he grabbed his backpack from the corner of the room and stormed out of the apartment. Jaehyun didn't go after him, and he definitely wasn't on the list of missed calls that night.