Part 2

I looked at Kriss, hoping I could
eventually love her the way I loved America. I was beside her, wearing my fake smile. We talked a little, but I was very distracted. I glanced at America, seeing that she was looking at that guard. I could barely stand it.

"Trying to arrange a time to
meet later?" I asked sarcastically. "No of course not." she replied. Her answer seemed genuine, but I wasn't going to fall for it. "It's not like it matters. Kriss's family will be here this afternoon for a small celebration, and yours will be here to take you home. They don't like for the last loser to be alone, she tends to get dramatic." I hated how harsh my words were. And I hated that I still loved America. I reminded myself again that she's just my subject, besides, she technically committed treason. I ought to have her caned. But I couldn't even bring myself to consider that thought for one second. Because I loved her.

I suddenly remembered the
house. "You can keep the house if you want. It's been paid for." But there was no way I was letting her keep those love letters. "I'd like my letters back though," I added. "I read them," she whispered sadly, "I loved them." I wanted what she said to sound more fake. I was making the right decision, right? I faked a laugh, "Don't know what I was thinking." She looked like she was about to cry. She was a really good actress. "Please don't do this. Please. I love you," she said. No she didn't. She couldn't. Otherwise she would've forgotten about Aspen.

Wow, she was really gonna cry.
I couldn't let that happen. Not here. "Don't. You. Dare." I ordered, sounding so forced. Why was I doing this to myself? "You put on a smile, and you wear it until the last second."  She fake smiled. "That'll do. Don't let that slip until you leave the room, do you understand?" She nodded. "I'll be glad when you're gone."

Who was I kidding? I was a
wreck. Did I just tell the only girl I've ever loved that I would be glad when she left? I was barely holding myself together. But I wasn't going to fall for her tricks.