Part 5

After a few minutes, I was
getting tired just from breathing. It wasn't long before someone retrieved me and brought me to a room. I didn't know who it was or where they brought me; at the time I was barely conscious.

When I woke up, I was in my
room. My chest was padded with gauze and my left arm was in a sling. I was so happy to be alive, and so anxious to talk to America. It made me nervous every time someone approached my room, because there was no guarantee that she was safe. So when a guard came into my room with a sad look on his face, it terrified me.

"Your Majesty," he said quietly,
"I'm afraid I have some troubling news." No, I thought. No no no. She's dead. I know it. I feared the worst, and for a moment I was heartbroken again.

"I'm afraid your parents were
shot," said the guard. The news surprised me, and I didn't really know what to say. "Both of them?" I asked. "Your mother went down first, she tried to save your father," the guard said. I nodded solemnly, taking it all in. He continued, "They got him right after." It was a difficult thought, though it didn't feel real. We were quiet for a moment. "Thank you," I said to the guard. "You may leave." He gave me a sad smile, and left the room.