Home is Where the Heart is

The feeling of his lips on hers made her heart race. The way his hands traveled down her side, softly gripping her hip. The way he pressed his body into hers, made her want to live in that moment forever. That moment. A moment where only the two of them existed, a moment where the world was silent and they didn't have to worry about anything. The kiss seemed to last a life time but that wasn't long enough for either of them. She could feel hunger and passion that lingered in the kiss. Her entire body was warm as if a spark had been lit in her stomach and spread like a wildfire. He softly bit her lip and she involuntarily pulled him down more. There wasn't a centimeter of space between them but it felt as if they weren't close enough. It was a battle to be closer, to be together, to be satisfied. His thumb trailed over the waistline of her jeans. She felt herself hesitate and pull back a little, he moved from her lips to her neck. She felt a hot buzz throughout her body as she felt the soft bites on her skin. He snapped the button on her jeans as if it was nothing, which only turned her on more. This time she didn't hesitate, she pressed her body into his making sure he knew she didn't want it to stop. He sat himself up just enough to look her in the eyes. She felt her blood boil and her skin turn pink as he bit his lip. A million miles of thoughts swarmed through her brain but were all quickly silenced as his fingers found their way into her underwear. She felt herself gasp a little and watched him smile, clearly content with himself. The way he made her feel was something she never wanted to end. She tried so hard to muffle her moans which only came out as choppy gasps. She could tell it turned him on to see her squirm. A few hot and amazing moments later she let out a small moan as the pleasure raced through her body and she buried her face in his chest. She felt embarrassment run through her head. She didn't know how to react. He lifted her chin and planted a soft but sexy kiss on her lips and chuckled as he said, "I win".
*****
Her eyes began to tear as she remembered the memories they had once shared. She racked her brain trying to figure out what she had done wrong to deserve such an ending. She tried to remember that moment of bliss. The one where she didn't have to worry about the world because she had all she needed. She had him.
"Rose!!? Rose? Come on...come on...talk to me baby", Nick cried out as he continued compressions.
"Dude maybe we should call an ambulance", Mack piped up as he tried desperately to wrap a shirt around some of Rose's wounds.
"Come on...breathe baby breathe!!!" , Nick practically shouted as he slammed his palms into his girlfriends chest. Olive quietly whimpered as she watched her best friend lay still and lifeless on the side of an interstate. Just moments before had they been listening to the radio and talking about boy problems and now Rose laid so quietly on the road. Olive tried picturing Rose as just taking a nap but the odd look of peace on her face was unsettling.
"She's slipping again!!", Nick yelled.
"Call 911", Olive screamed as Mack dialed the numbers.

*****"I'm home!!!", Rose shouted as she walked through the front door and dropped the keys into the dish by the door

*****
"I'm home!!!", Rose shouted as she walked through the front door and dropped the keys into the dish by the door.
Nick padded down the stairs cheerfully, "Hey my love! How was work?"
"Slow. Boring. Slow and boring", she yawned and kicked off her shoes.
"Ah...so a usual day slaying away at the office?", Nick laughed.
"Yes. Very much, indeed.", she said dramatically throwing herself onto the couch in the living room of her boyfriend's new apartment. How had she gotten here? It felt as if just yesterday they had just met and now they had an apartment and jobs and responsibilities.
"Adulting is too hard, I quit!", she said as she stretched out onto the soft cushions that comfortingly smelled like Nick.
"You work as an assistant for a psychologist. All you do is file shit", Nick rolled his eyes and poured a glass of soda.
"Yah well that's harder than holding the couch down and leaving ass prints in the cushion", Rose shot back.
"Hey!!! Doing nothing is exhausting too", Nick joked, "seriously though, I'll get the job. I just have to wait".
"Yepppp keep telling yourself that", Rose sighed and stood up.
"You don't believe I can do it?", Nick said with a tinge of pain.
"I do believe you can do it. I always believe in you. Just maybe this isn't the right job", Rose explained as she sat down at the kitchen table.
"This is my dream job, why can't you just let me be", Nick argued.
"Babe, it's working at thrifty's", Rose rolled her eyes again.
"Yah! And? Being surrounded by ice cream is a dream come true", Nick laughed.
"You can't eat any of it, I hope you know that", Rose mentioned.
"Aw man...", Nick said sadly as if she had just told him his dog died, "oh well. I still get a discount I think"
Rose rolled her eyes and went upstairs to change into more comfortable clothes. After a nice shower and a new change of clothes, Rose skipped her way down the stairs to where Nick was. She plopped on the couch next to him and he looked at her then stuck his tongue out.
"Hey what's that for!?", Rose playfully sounded offended.
"For this", Nick mumbled as he leaned forward and kissed her. Their lips intertwined as he softly pushed her onto her back.
She pulled back a little as she said, "so not fair!!"
"I don't know, that seemed like a well calculated ambush", he laughed
She rolled her eyes and lightly kissed him again.

*****
Rose opened her eyes slightly and they were instantly filled with bright fluorescent lights. She painfully close them again. A hand closed around hers, she slowly opened her eyes, this time careful to let her eyes adjust a little at a time.
"Hey beautiful", a familiar voice said. A voice that made her feel so secure and safe. It was Nick.
She opened her eyes completely, which still stung a little. There he was, sitting in an uncomfortable chair leaning towards the hospital bed. Wait. Hospital bed.
"Where am I?", she asked, beginning to panic. She tried to sit up but a big ball of pain seemed to ram straight into her.
"Hey, don't sit up, just rest. You're ok now", Nick assured her.
"What the fuck do you mean 'now'!? 'Now' implies that I was not ok before!!", Rose rambled on.
"What's the last thing you remember?", Nick asked seriously, too seriously.
"The last thing I remember is when we pointed something out", Rose tried to rack her brains find the missing pieces. Her memories were as scrambled as Sunday morning eggs.
"That 'thing'", Nick said as he made airquotes, "was a giant light bomb from the counsel"
"A what from the what?", Rose knew who the consel was but she was still confused.
"A light bomb is like a giant UV bomb. When it explodes it shines a very very very bright light that could be fatal to some.", Nick explained.
"Then why aren't you hurt!?", Rose teemed with anger.
"Because you covered me when you saw the initial explosion.", Nick said as he looked at the floor. Rose could see there was a tear sliding down his cheek.
"Where's everyone else?", Rose asked.
"Trying to find something to explain what happen without actually saying what happened", Nick laughed, "oh and yeah I wouldn't go looking in any mirrors soon".
"Um yah why!?", Rose asked again with a tinge of attitude.
"Well you kinda got like the worst ever case of a sunburn", Nick laughed a little again. Mack and Olive walked in and plopped down on two more uncomfortable chairs.
"We told them that she fell asleep on a lawn chair", Mack said trying not to laugh.
"Yah but we gotta get out of here soon, no doubt the counsel saw that", Olive mentioned as she peered over her shoulder.
"Wait how long have we been here?", Rose asked as she began to sit up.
"A few days", Nick sighed.
"What the fuck!? Why!? Why would you stay in one damn spot when people are chasing you??? Have you never seen a horror movie in your life!?", Rose yelled as she swung her legs to the edge of the bed and stood up.
"Well ya see...we would've kept going if you HADNT STOPPED BREATHING", Mack yelled back in a mocking tone.
"Oh so now it's my fault that I was dying", Rose threw a pillow at him and grabbed her little bag of belongings.
"Well kind of...", Olive piped up from the corner of the room.
"Oh", Rose sighed with a look of pain and betrayal. Rose silently walked out of the room with her little see through plastic bag in her hand.