45.

GATE C40 JUSTIN

Present Day

Penguin Acquires $2M Rights to Meta-Fiction Account of Elite Airways Stewardess' Steamy Affair with Pilot

-The New York Times

I stared at the black and bold headline-wanting to believe the words were some type of joke, but the accompanying article held no humor.

Shay Taylor, formerly published as "Taylor S." was quoted as saying, "It was a very turbulent affair that occurred between the two of us. And yes, we did risk a lot by being in some of the places we were together. But through the ups and downs, I fell in love with this man and I wouldn't change anything about the experience for the world. Well, minus our own personal ending in real life, of course."

When asked if the subject of her novel had any fucking idea about what was happening, any idea about the fact that she was about to tell this story, she gave a short, "No comment."

I couldn't even finish reading the article in its entirety, not when I managed to make it through her short bio that detailed her previous time in publishing. Time she didn't even think to share with me on the night I told her everything.

Everything...

Here I was, once again, reading about someone's actions in my life via the ink of the press instead of getting the words in person. Once again, I was used and quickly betrayed, and someone I actually loved became another disappointment. Just like everyone else.