14| Brand New Strangers

A glass of good wine, a gentle breeze on my skin, and thousands stars sparkling above. It's a taste of serenity for me. My little escape from my misery.

Others might call me hypocrite. How can I be miserable when I am successful on the field of business? How can one be miserable when he got all the praises, influence, power and money? How dare me feel miserable when I made to the top of the business? How can I be miserable after fulfilling all my goals?

Fuck me, but being successful doesn't mean I can't be miserable.

What would I do with everything I have now? It doesn't matter to me. Being successful, well-established, rich, and a top-caliber businessman doesn't make me happy.

In other circumstances, might be, but I already lost the one that can really make me happy.

I obtained everything I have now in expense of sacrificing the woman I love.

And all of these... everything's for my family.

And I should be happy, right? Because I made them happy. I made life easy for them.

But I am not happy. This might be selfish of me, but I am not happy. I am not happy making them happy. 

I was pulled out of my depression when I heard the lift dinged. It opened and as if my heart's prayer was heard, the woman that can brighten up my world stepped out.

She was appalled when she saw me watching her closely. She's about to turn the knob when she noticed me.

"Oh!" she jumped a little. "I-I'm sorry. Hindi ko alam na nandito ka."

I smiled a little. God, I want to run to her side and wrapped myself around her. I missed her so much. Watching her from afar is not enough.

"Okay lang. Napadaan lang din ako," I said in a casual tone, but my insides were already shaking.

Silence stretched between us. I think she felt awkward around me.

"Is it fine to stay here for a while? Malapit kasi dito 'yong review center na pinapasukan ko," she tilted her head. "Malapit na din naman matapos. Three weeks na lang board exam na."

I nodded. "It's fine. This place was yours as well."

He jaw dropped.

Oh, fuck!

Yeah, right, Trey. You ended up everything between you. Of course she thought that even the conjugal property shits ended as well.

"I-I mean, I'm not really staying here. And Calix preferred to be on his studio. It'll be better that you use this place than keeping it empty," I said then I looked away. "You can stay here for as long as you want."

I took a sip on my wine. So near, yet so far.

She smiled at me. "Thanks!" she beamed. "It was nice seeing you again. You changed a lot. Woah, you're one hell of a businessman now! You finally have your dream career."

I forced myself to smile. "Yeah. I fulfilled one of my dreams."

But the most important dream has been robbed off of me.

"I'll just put these inside," she said pertaining to her things.

When she went inside the house, I finally got the chance to take a deep breath.

I'm glad that she's fine. That she can still smile like that, and be cheerful like that. Somehow, it told me that I made the right choice. That letting her go was the right decision.