One hand washes the other

The middle of the year is an odd moment to decide that maybe joining a school club isn't all that bad and Kim Jongdae is very well aware of that fact. But how could he have known at the beginning of the year already just how hard and how fast he would fall for the captain of the football team? If Jongdae had known from the beginning on he would not have hesitated for a second to join the football club, even though he just sucks at that sport. Well any sport to be honest. But there is nothing he can't at least try. But back when Jongdae first got into this high school he did not know and therefore didn't bother signing up for any club at all. Then, two weeks into the school year, he got to know Kim Minseok.

Minseok is the captain of the football team, two years older than Jongdae and frankly one of the most attractive people Jongdae has ever seen in his entire life. It's almost ridiculous how good-looking Minseok is. His body is toned from doing a lot of sport but his face still seems somewhat round and chubby. He has cheeks that look so soft Jongdae can't help but dream of pinching them. And his eyes are just to die for. Perfect brown orbs, that have this kind of curious glimmer in them. Not to mention how damn cute he is. He is almost shorter than Jongdae despite being older and something about that just makes Jongdae's heart race like crazy. But then again Minseok is also hot. Really damn hot. The duality of Kim Minseok is a thing that makes Jongdae question his sanity. He is a lovestruck fool and he wishes he had known about Kim Minseok earlier. Because there is no waiting to just join the football club next year. Because next year Kim Minseok won't be there anymore. And without Minseok, there is no point in Jongdae trying to join.

So no matter how stupid it may seem to join a club in the middle of the school year, Jongdae has no other option if he wants to get closer to Minseok before this year ends.

Yesterday he asked one of his classmates, a boy named Baekhyun who had joined the football club at the beginning of this year if there might still be a chance to join even though applications are long closed. He pretty much begged the boy to help him get into the team and Baekhyun promised him to talk about it with Minseok at the next training and then send him a text. From what Jongdae knows the football club meets every Tuesday and Thursday and the occasional Saturday when they have a match coming up and need some extra practice. Today is Tuesday and Jongdae is checking his phone every few minutes, even though he has the sound turned on and can't miss the message when it eventually comes in. Also, school only ended like an hour ago and the training is probably still in session. It might take another hour before Baekhyun even has his phone in his hand the next time.

An hour that crawls by way too slowly as Jongdae checks his phone every few minutes and tries to distract himself with math homework. Math is one of his better subjects and usually, he can finish his homework rather quickly and move on to something more pleasant but today every little exercise takes him forever. He keeps making small mistakes, comes up with wrong solutions again and again and has to do it all over and eventually that frustration gets his mind occupied enough to forget about his phone for the moment.

When it finally signals a new message Jongdae almost falls off his chair and he messes up his unlock pattern two times because his fingers are way too fast and hasty before the screen finally lights up with words.

The captain says he's okay with letting you try out for the team, might consider letting you join if you do good, we're short on offensive players anyways. Just come to practice with me on Thursday after lessons are over, bring sports clothes and some decent shoes for playing, don't have to be real football shoes as long as you can run and kick a ball in them properly that's good for now. See you tomorrow and you owe me one for this. Better let me copy your math homework for the rest of the year :D

Jongdae stares at his phone for a second. If he could, he would hug Baekhyun right now but instead, he just types back a short reply including at least ten thank yous. Then Jongdae puts his phone aside and tries to focus on math again. Even though his head is occupied with thoughts about the coming day he has suddenly found his motivation to finish the exercise again. After all, Baekhyun will want the results from him tomorrow and for the rest of the year. Usually, Jongdae doesn't like letting others copy from him but for once it might actually be okay to help out a friend. One hand washes the other.