The Man Who Knew Too Much

***

Then the LORD said to Cain,

"Where is your brother Abel?"

"I don't know," he replied.

"Am I my brother's keeper?"

(Genesis 4:9)

***

The scales of the leather were rough against his calloused fingers as he traced the tethered binding.

Dwarven letters perfectly aligned in the middle. A scar, which ripped through the sacred words, showed the mahogany color of the animal skin pages.

The worn fingers felt along the scar, noticing how the parchment felt similar to cardboard. After much examination, the fingers flipped back and forth through the uneven paper. Hand-printed words flooded his pale blue eyes as the pages grew and shrunk in number. One word, however, stood out, and the pages stopped flashing.

"Genesis," the man whispered in a gravelly voice. "The book of Genesis."

The man narrowed his eyes as he read the scribbled scripture out loud, "In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, 'Let there be light'; and there was light. And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness."

The man scoffed, "Absolutely fascinating."

He suddenly jerked his head, previously unaware of the approaching footsteps which echoed throughout the silent library. A man, only a few years older than the other, stood a few feet from the entrance.

"Excuse me, sir, Prospero," he said in a wary manner. Prospero smiled as he stood up.

"Ah Gonzalo! My brothers loyal servant. How bid thee?"

Gonzalo quickly walked forward, his fingers laced tightly in front of his belted tunic. "I'm well, sir, Duke of Milan, but I'm afraid I may not bring well news." Despite Gonzalo's words, Prospero turned around and picked up the book, being careful to not lose the page.

"Yes yes, my fair Gonzalo, you will find this most interesting." Prospero walked towards Gonzalo with eagerness in his step as the older man shook his head.

"No, no, sire, I'm afraid this will have to wait. I have very unnerving news to report, and it is very important for you to hear this. King Alonso, he has-" Prospero stood beside Gonzalo, and shoved the withered book in his hands, pointing at the scripture.

"Listen to this, for it is of most utter fascination!"

Gonzalo rolled his eyes. "Fine, sir, tell me what you have found, but do it most quickly."

"Thank you, good sir. Now hear this: in the beginning, there was nothing, am I correct?" Gonzalo sighed, anxiety eating at his heavy lungs.

"Y-yes sir." Prospero grinned like an eager child. "The world was dark, barren, completely lifeless until one man came along, and created light, and vegetation, and us! Humanity, Gonzalo! Isn't it wondrous how one man, this God, can hold all this power?"

Gonzalo shook his head, cold sweat beads dripped into the wrinkles on his forehead. "Yes sir, it is of much speculation, but there are more important matters at hand!"

"Oh how I wish I could yield all that magic!"

"Prospero, sir, listen to me! King Alonso is plotting to put you out of your dukedom!"

Prospero only scoffed and turned to look at Gonzalo. "Oh they can't do that! They have nothing against me!"

Gonzalo, exasperated, wiped his sweaty forehead. "They're accusing you of treason."

"I have done none of the such."

"They say you spend too much time reading nonsense in the forsaken library!"

"Oh by the heavens my good man Gonzalo! They are but fools! I am only learning. Maybe if they would spend less time fooling around with each other's wives, they'd be much more aware."

"Prospero, they're planning on exilement."

"Gonzalo, Antonio always complimented your optimism. Why are you so suddenly pessimistic?"

"I'm not being pessimistic Prospero, I am being real! Those men are coming for you! I heard it with my own ears!"

The scholar grinned as he turned the page. "Whatever you say." Prospero lifted the book closer to his face as he lost himself in the words of a scribe.

"They have Miranda."

The room grew silent. The twitching tension in the air seemed to subside with the rest of the world as Gonzalo's words registered with the younger man. Prospero's mouth slightly dropped as his ghastly eyes widened. Gonzalo watched his face become bloodless while his own remained ruddy.

Leather met skin as Prospero slowly closed the book, and set it in the hands of Gonzalo. "That can't be." His eyes sunk to the ground. "I left her with my maids. There is no way Antonio could have gotten inside my house, not as long as my housecarl remained on guard."

Gonzalo's sage colored eyes meant Prospero's blushed pale beads. "Prospero, Alonso took your daughter. He is the king, after all, and knows many people. Sir, are you in good wealth?"

Prospero shook his head and bit his bottom lip, refusing the tears which had gathered in his eyes. "Why are they accusing me of treason? They have no evidence, or any sensible reason."

"I guess they took your absence as duke as betraying your provinces."

Prospero shook his head. "Have I really been in this library as much as they claim? Tell me your thoughts, good man."

"God forgive me for my honesty, but yes, Prospero, you are in this library more than your actual throne."

Prospero nodded as he turned away. Gonzalo empathetically sighed. "What is the time of the exilement?"

"At midnight, my lord. They plan to storm in with troops, and force you and your daughter out. Oh by the heavens! I have spoken too much! King Alonso will surely punish me!"

Prospero's face filled with boiling blood as his fingers dug into his palms. "Gonzalo, if you would, please read these psalms." Prospero reopened the Bible, and flipped back to the book of Genesis. He pointed to chapter four.

Gonzalo narrowed his eyebrows. "The story of Cain and Abel? Why, must I ask?"

"No questions, just do as I say." Prospero gathered his belongings as Gonzalo shook his head.

"Where are you going? For all you know, Alonso could be right outside that door!"

Prospero ignored Gonzalo. "Don't worry about me, take care of yourself, Gonzalo. You are a smart man. I admire your loyalty."

"Prospero, sir, where are you going?"

"Gonzalo, I am going to get my daughter."