eleven

"He said what?"

"That I have to earn it, or whatever," I mumbled, embarrassed to say it again.

"That's kind of like, really hot," Mia said, kicking her heels up onto the countertop, as I wipe the same spot with a towel, to act like I am doing my job while I gossip.

"He wants you to chase him," She smiled, twirling her dark curls. "Sexy."

"He was on a date with another girl, Mi," I explained. "And she was gorgeous."

"Obviously he thinks something of you if he kissed you, El!"

"Maybe he's just messing with me because I said he was boring in bed."

"Or, He's a super sexy mysterious guy that knows you want inside of his jeans so he's gonna make you work for it."

"I don't know," I sighed, as my eyes trailed up to my coworker Megan, sitting a table. "I'm not into chasing guys."

"Then you might as well just give up." Mia huffed, tossing her feet off of the counter and standing from the barstool.

"I think you should go out with Sawyer, he's not sketchy like Luke."

"He just seems so- boring," I groaned.

"Maybe that's what you need. Remember what happened with the last bad boy? Hm?"

I stopped myself from recollecting memories of him, not wanting to open that closet that I had locked in the back of my mind.

"Listen, I gotta go, errands to run. See ya," She whipped around, heels clicking with each step out the door.

Maybe she was right.

I slid my phone out of my apron pocket, opening my messages to someone I never thought I would text.

To: Sawyer
How about that date, tonight?

**

"You look stunning," The ivory gapped toothed smile shined at me like headlights.

"Thank you," I smiled, sitting in the chair that Sawyer had pulled out for me.

"Honestly, I was beginning to think you'd never give me a chance!"

I flattened my napkin out across my lap, grinning politely at him.

"How'd you meet Mia?" I asked, trying to avoid him complimenting me for the entire dinner.

"It was through Luke, actually,"

Great, the one thing I wanted to avoid.

"He's been coming to my gym for quite some time, I guess him and Mia set me up with you for the night, although you didn't seem to want a date."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I wasn't exactly in the mood to go in the first place."

"No, no, don't be sorry! It's okay,"

He was so sweet that it was almost aggravating. I thought of the witty comments Luke would rebuttal back at me, and I wished Sawyer would say something similar, just once.

"What are your plans for the future?"

The dinner began to quickly turn from a date to a night with my father, any hope I had for an attraction to him shrinking by the minute.

"What I want and what will happen are very different, Sawyer," I answered simply. "Let's talk about you."

"I'm hoping to take full ownership of the gym, and maybe expand it,"

I nodded intently, trying to show interest in what he was saying, as I felt my phone buzz from my purse.

As Sawyer continued to talk about punching bags and sweaty men, I unzipped my purse and slightly slid my phone out of it.

From: Michael
It's Luke. Come to Michael's. Now.

To: Michael
On a date. Sorry.

I smiled to myself as I sent the message, hoping it made Luke feel the way I did when I saw him with another girl.

From: Michael
Don't care. Now.

"Everything alright?"

"Yeah, its uhm, Michael,"

"Is he okay?" Sawyer asked with attentive eyes.

"I'm not sure, I-I should probably make sure he's okay, I'm so sorry."

"No, no, don't apologize! You're a great friend, text me later?"

I nodded, grabbing my jacket, and heading to Michael's.

**

"Hello?" I called, with my fourth knock at the door. "Michael? Luke?"

What kind of joke was this?

I turned my back toward the door, deciding to go home instead, until I felt the door behind me swing open.

I swirled back around to see Luke, hovering over me, his slender finger over his lip, making a "sh" gesture.

I nodded and followed him inside, the only light that illuminated the house was from the TV, as I saw Michael's sleeping body draped over the couch, subtle snores escaping his mouth.

"What do you need? I was busy."

"Were you?" Luke chuckled, opening the fridge, and grabbing a bottle of beer. "On a date with bran flakes?"

"He's nice," I defended, not wanting Luke to know I had anything but a great time with Sawyer.

"You don't like him," He said, his voice husky, as he pressed the bottle to his lips. "He's too vanilla, wouldn't you say?"

"Are you ever going to give it up?" I sassed, as he laughed through his drink, and I noticed he was only wearing a pair of plaid pajama pants.

"Hey, you said it love, not me,"

"You pissed me off," I defended, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Stop acting angry," He said, sitting the now
empty bottle on the counter. "When you're actually angry you're much sexier."

I bit at the inside of my cheek, my inside slightly jumping at the fact that he called me sexy.

"Don't get excited," He scoffed. "I actually have a reason for bringing you here."

"And what could that be?"

"Well, Michael's asleep, Ashton's God knows where, and Calum's probably with your snarky friend Mia, so I didn't know who else to ask."

"Ask for what?"

"To bid for me,"

"What?"

"Bid for me, Like, bet for me to win?"

"To win what?" I asked, quickly sneaking a peak at his shirtless torso, as I noted a shaped v-line toward the hem of his pants.

"My boxing match."