Chapter 10

We were all walking down to the pit. Eric told me to meet him there then we would go to Max's. As we entered the pit Eric started walking directly towards the office halls, we met him at the door. I smiled at him and he smiled back, we were secretly laughing about what had happened earlier. I couldn't wait to finish initiations so that we could be together more of the time. Maybe this whole meeting with Max will bring us a step closer.
      As we stopped in front of Max's door, Eric knocked and I heard Max say "Come in". We all walked single file through his door and stood in front of his desk.

"Well, well, well. You all look very, confident." He said as he looked up from his paper work.

"Thank you sir." Blair said, of course she was gonna have a remark for that.

"So, I will conduct a private meeting with all of you, one at a time. Then we'll all talk together. Eric, after I talk with all of them I would like to have a word with you."

"Okay." Eric casually said back to Max.

"First up, Zac." Max looked at Zac and motioned for the rest of us to step outside the door. After about fifteen minutes Zac came out smiling and told Jake to go in. Another fifteen, then another. And finally he had consulted all of them as it was my turn. Everyone of them had come out with a smile, and I was anxious to see why.
      I walked in and took a seat at the chair before him. I was trying not to seem to anxious in front of him but I don't think it worked. Max was chuckling when he started talking.

"All the leaders in this faction have already made a decision."

"May I ask what the dicision is?"

"Yes, you can. We've all decided that you and your friends will become leaders after initiation. Of course we will have to have a meeting with the other leaders as well, but..." Max's voice trailed off.

"But what?!" I asked hurriedly.

"But, there are a couple problems all of you will be stepping into immediatly."

"Like what?"

"We'll discuss that as a group."

"Okay, so what would we be leaders of since there's like seven of us."

"Well, that depends on you. You will have to under go a few tests then some more training for the position you choose."

"Awesome!" I squealed.

"You certainly seem excited about this." Max said chuckling a little.

"Yes sir I am." I told him smiling.

"Why?"

"What?"

"Why so excited." He persisted.

"Uh..."

"It's Eric, isn't it?"

"Uh, um..."

"I know Eric and I know how women act around him when they take a fancy to him." He told me, laughing now.

"Sir, there isn't anything happening." I lied.

"No, I know there isn't. But I'm sure there will be once you are through with initiations."

"I hope so sir."

"Okay, enough digging on my part. Call Eric in, would you please?"

"Yes sir." I felt closer to Max now. Damn, that was close though. I thought he knew about what had happened, you know. Earlier tonight.
      I walked out the door and told Eric Max wanted to see him. I looked at the time, it was ten to eleven. Ugh, tomorrow's gonna be hard. I hope we have the day off. I heard laughing coming from inside, I could only imagine what Max was telling Eric and vice versa. Then, Eric came out again and told all of us to come in again. There was a circle of chairs before Max's desk now. He told us to sit. Eric was on my right, Sarah on my left. I took her hand and squeezed it a little, she looks over and it was all she could do to keep from giggling. I looked over at Eric, he was watching me and Sarah. Then I looked up to Max, he was watching Eric and smiling. The boys on the end, Zac, Jake, Ben and Josh were all waiting patiently for Max to begin.

"Okay, so as I told you all. If you become leaders there are problems you will be taking on immediately." We all nodded that we understood.

"There is the main problem. The disagreements with the factionless. There has been a rumor that they are wagering war. Though we don't know how they could be because they don't have any weapons."

"Can any of them fight?" Zac asked.

"Yes, a few that failed there Dauntless initiation. They could be teaching the others. There has been reports of stolen food from the other factions also."

"Have the stolen anything from the compound?" I asked.

"No, not yet anyways." Eric answered.

"Sir, I think I speak for all of us when I say, we're in." Josh said. It was kind of shocking to hear him of all people say that. Especially that part about speaking for all of us. It was true, we were all in.

"As I said before you will have to take tests before you take the position."

"Like what sir?" Ben asked.

"A test to see if your divergent or not and to see what area of leadership you belong in."

"I understand that you still have to do the test, but none of us are divergent." Jake told Max.

"I believe you. But to keep everyone happy, we have to."

"Yes sir." Jake said.

"Okay, well. That's all for tonight. You all have the next two days off. So, enjoy yourselves. Also, there's a party tomorrow night." As soon as Max was finished we all bounded up and ran back to the pit. I remembered I had a date with Eric, a 'date'. He found me at the pit, and we walked up to the roof. It was a long flight of stairs. This was the first place I had seen Eric. This is where the initiates had to jump through the hole in the roof to get into the compound.

"Well, Eric. Where is the factionless?" I asked curious to know.

"Come here." He said, I walked over to him and he pointed it out, "right there's Candor. The factionless are right behind there."

"That's an interesting place to put them." I told him. I turned around and looked at him. He was holding me by the hips. I could feel him moving closer to me. I leaned in towards him and our lips smashed together. He pushed into me more, causing me to slip backwards. He reached down and grabbed my thighs, he lifted me up onto the edge. I wasn't scared of falling, not in the least. He continued to kiss me, then I thought about Max and him seeming to know what Eric and I had done.

"Don't worry about Max." Eric said as he pulled back.

"What?" I asked, not really understanding what he had just said.

"Your worried Max knows about what we've done. He does. But he won't do anything. So long as no one catches us."

"Really?!"

"Yeah! Really!" He said laughing and continued to kiss me. I kissed him back. I pushed him back, jumped off the edge and came close to him again.

"Your fiesty, you know that?" He told me, looking down.

"Yes, I do know that." I said and I put my foot around his ankle and pushed him back. He fell over onto the ground.

"Damn girl! You don't quiet, do you."

"Nope." I said as I straddled him. We made out for awhile longer before returning to the pit. I couldn't wait for the two days off. It's gonna be super fun! I'll get to practice, consult with the leaders, and sneak around with Eric. That's about as good as a girl can get here in Dauntless. Except maybe not having to sneak around, I couldn't wait until I wouldn't have to hide it anymore. Only about a week until initiations were over with.