Chapter 20

I had finally started leadership training. It was a lot like initiations, all we had to do was perfect our fighting, weapons, and fears. Eric was there to help me the entire time. His ribs had healed and he was completely fine, except he was anxious to kill Jimmy. I was kind of anxious too, I wanted to get justice on what he had done to me back in Amity and for what he had done to Eric and I, here at Dauntless.
      In Amity he didn't just pick on me the day of the aptitude test. He was always talking shit and trying to get me in trouble. So, I was okay with getting rid of a nusence. Today, after training Eric and I would go and execute Jimmy. Four had been holding him in the cells below the compound. It was cold, dark, and lonely down there and I didn't feel the least bit sorry for him.
      Another reason I was happy to be rid of Jimmy was that Eric was driving me crazy over it. He kept saying how sorry he was that he couldnt protect me and how he wanted justice for me. It was sweet, yes, but after like three weeks of listening to it. It becomes a little tiring.
     Our status as a couple had gone up. We were the only couple who were both leaders. I only had two more days before I would be an actual leader. That's another thing Eric was stressing over. He wanted me to ace this whole thing. Dont get me wrong, I want to, too. He said we would be like a 'power couple' because we were both leaders and we had both gone into leadership immediately after initiation. Yes, my friends had also but they were in a different part. None of them had taken a job with Max or the other leaders, they were like, semi-leaders. Except Zac. We were all happy. I couldn't have asked for more in this new Dauntless life. Lots of friends, an awesome boyfriend, a high paying job, and respect. That's what I have wanted my whole life, was respect. As a leader in Dauntless, I was going to make sure everything was going good. Nobody was getting cornered were they couldn't defend themselves. I wasn't going to baby anyone, but, I would try to make everything equal. Eric said that's exactly what the faction wants for leaders. Of course I thought he was just saying this to be nice, but, in a meeting we had with Max, that's exactly what he had said, too. That they wanted someone strong, willing, and with a good head on their shoulders. They both say that I fit the bill.
      I never got a place of my own. Eric and I had agreed that I would live with him. Like I said, we had upped our relationship a lot. We weren't like a middle school couple anymore, it was like serious. We go on dates and whatever else legit couples do. Eric had said be had plans for us tonight. He had seemed super excited.

~~~~~~~~~~Two Days Later~~~~~~~~~

"C'mon, c'mon!" He had pleaded.

"What are you so excited about?!"

"Ugh, quiet asking questions and just follow me." He said.

"Fine. But, you can't even give me a hint?"

"No, I won't give you a hint because you will see soon enough. Or hear."

"Hear? So someone's telling me something?"

"You aren't going to give up until you get it out of me are you?"

"Nope, now please what is this about. Your like so, jumpy and smiley. The total opposite of the cruel tough guy I know so well."

"Well, maybe I'm just happy for you." He says.

"Happy for me about what?"

"Turn around and you'll see." I do as he said and see Max standing there.

"Bek. You know how you finished you leadership training earlier today?" Max asked me.

"Uh, yeah." I said a little confused.

"Well, we just wanted to congratulate you on making it through training and now being a Dauntless leader!" Max says excitedly. I knew that this was coming and that I had probably made it. But having Max do it this way, making a point to congratulate me made it so much more than just a job. It was like I finally had a family or at least a tight-nit group of people that cared.
       As soon as I had squealed and jumped all of my delight Eric turned me so that I was facing him. He looked at me, his usual cold eyes instead being warm. He kissed me, passionately. Then he pulled back a little, and looked at me.

"I love you." He says. I hadn't ever expected him to say that. Nobody in my family back in Amity had said, 'I love you' since I could remember. Therefore, that was the first time anyone had ever said, I love you, to me.

My eyes fill with tears, "I love you, too Eric."

"Now that your a leader, no one will ever hurt you. And I won't let anyone. Nobody will hurt you again, not like Amity."

"Thank you, Eric." I told him. This really didn't have anything to do with my past, but I guess it was kind of a moment and Eric wanted to tell me I would be safe. And I believe him. I knew I would be safe with him, and with Dauntless. Soon after Max congratulating me, Eric and I went back up to the apartment. Little did I know, our friends were waiting on the other side of the door.

"Surprise!" They all yelled when I stepped in the door.

"Oh my God! You guys!" I was definently surprised. They had gone through all the trouble of setting up a party for me. I assumed because I was now a leader.

"I'm so happy for you!" Sarah told me as she gave me a hug.

"Aw,  thank you so much for this. Now I feel bad that I didn't so anything for you when you got a job."

"Hec Bek. You being my friend is good enough." She said and stepped back for me to walk farther into the room. Everyone was here. Zac, Jake, Ben, Josh, Blair, Sarah, Mike, Dantè, Isaac, and Jeff. Even Four had come down from the control room. Which was strange considering he was a workaholic and this was Eric's apartment.
      We partied through the night and into the next morning. Surprisingly nobody got wasted, we had only had enough to make us super happy. Though, from the lack of sleep everyone had passed out by seven o'clock. I had fallen asleep on the couch with Eric but had slipped onto the floor. Right before dinner I had barely started to wake up when I felt someone playing with my hair. I opened my eyes a little and saw Eric looking at me with his chin on the back of his hand.

"Well, good evening sleepy head." He said as he smiles.

"Mm-Mhm." I mumbled back.

"C'mon. We should go down and get a little something to eat." Eric says trying to get me up off the floor. I sit up with my back against the couch. Eric also sat up puting his legs on either side of me. I crossed my legs underneath me and intertwined by fingers in my lap. Everyone else had already gone down to the dining hall.
      Eric bent down and kissed my neck them I felt his hands on my shoulders. He gave me a back rub for at least fifteen minutes.

"Thank you." I say as I begin to get up.

"Your welcome. Now are you ready to go down and get something to eat. I think it's burgers." He says.

"Ugh, men and their food! Can't you ever go a day without eating?"

"Let me tell you a little secret," he paused, "the way to a man's heart is food."

"Yeah, I can tell." I said giggling and walking to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. My hair looked like I had gone through an electrical storm.

"Eric!" I yelled.

"What?" I heard him yell back them I heard his footsteps nearing the bathroom. I stepped into the door frame and pointed at my head.

"Why didn't you tell me I looked like a monster?!"

"Simple.'Cause you don't look like a monster." He said shrugging his shoulders.

"Sure."

"And besides. You'd  look beautiful if you were bald."

"God, don't say that. And that is very cheesy."

"Cheesy, but true. And it's not like you'll ever go bald anyways."

"Don't jinx me Eric." I said, throwing a towel at him.

"Was that nesecary?!" He asked, laughing and throwing the towel on the sink counter next to me. I only giggled and turned the water on to take a shower.