Fire on Fire

They spent two more days just observing, trying to gain as much information as they could. They would go to the little cafe on the corner after and go over anything new they had learned which wasn't much. But Lexi still bubbled their voices so others wouldn't over hear their hushed conversations.

Hellion asked each day if they would like to participate, and each day they declined.

Today was no different. April could see Hellion's posture change as he began to step toward them, smile on his face. It was always like this. Like clockwork.

Lexi just glared, no different today then yesterday. Each day when he opened that mouth of his she had the unending compulsion to crush his windpipe with her hands.

"And how about today?" Hellion asked them both.

April gave him a sad smile, "no thank you."

Hellion huffed, actually huffed like a child.

"But I do have a few questions for you," April said glancing at Lexi with a smile. Lexi glared at her.

"Shoot," he said leaning up against a tree as two people wrestled in the middle. There was a lack of normal elemental magic today. Combat day.

Good because their other skills sucked.

"Where did all these people come from?" April said pretending to admire the amount of people. "I don't know much about the backstory. She doesn't tell me anything." April threw a fake pout at Lexi for no reason.

Hellion glanced at Lexi, "most of us are from the America's. Very few are local but some come from South Asia and Russia."

"And you?" April asked with a bright smile.

"The America's, some small village like town. It's in the North, but not too north. I still have relatives there."

So that explained his lack of an accent. "As you guys are right?" April nodded eagerly. "But some come from all over. Some are sent by people who used to practice with us."

"You mean there is more of you," Lexi asked bewildered. Too stunned.. fucking hell she scolded herself.

"Yeah," Hellion states cooly, "but that's mostly the ones who have aged. The ones who stay young get bored with the training and bugger off to who knows where."

"Aged?" April asked rather calmly as if this was no more then a casual chit chat about food.

"Some of us aren't so lucky as I," he winked bumping April's shoulder with his own.

So he didn't age. How old could he be? 10? 20 years after maturity?

"But do you know where you came from," Lexi asked. "Like why we are like this way?"

Hellion ran a hand through his hair. "My mother told me we are the unholy offspring is gods and mortals. And then she burnt my hands on the stove. But that was a long long time ago."

He was actually smiling...

"Everyone has their own story," Hellion continued watching the pair in the middle. "But there is really only one explanation."

"And that is?" Lexi asked with a bored undertone.

Hellion grinned at her, she just walked into one of his mind tricks. "That knowledge is only known to the best and more skilled."

Little did he know, she could have crushed his face with her invisible fist or dragged him underground to suffocate by the roots she felt under his feet.

He wasn't going to give them any more information, not unless one of them got their asses in the middle and pretended to suck...

Lexi scoffed. "I haven't even seen you in there." Her chin juts out to the pair just finishing up, black hair swaying.

"Well, let's go then, make it fair?" Hellion asked glancing quickly at April before looking back at Lexi fully. "Fire on fire?"

Lexi rolled her eyes. He knew nothing.

April burst into laughter - bent over at the waist laughter.

"What's so funny?" Hellion asked glaring down at her.

"You think she's fire?" April gasped out, "oh this is too good."

Hellion just glared at her.

April tossed her ball cap to the ground, sunglasses still on. Her strawberry blonde hair blew in the wind.

"Hunny," April reached up touching his arm, "the only flame you'll find here is me."

He could only blink at her. "You don't look like-"

"Wrong kind of flame babe," April said unzipping her jacket and dropping it to the floor. Underneath she had barely a crop top on... April and her flare.

Hellion smirked, "after you." He gestured for her to enter further into the group of people.

This could go one of two ways. April could fake being terrible and either fail or succeed. Or she could let them have it, expose them to the fact that she could break the sound barrier in two steps...

Lexi wasn't sure what she would enjoy more: April stomping Hellion into the ground, or her face when she tried to be terrible.

Hellion had sparks leaping from a bracelet on his wrist, supposedly not able to make fire on his own. April blinked forgetting that tiny part of these people.

Flames built, and a lashing strand leaped for April. It was better than the rest, far more controlled and potent. But he was still nothing compared to April.

It soured for her, and April turned slowly just out of the way to watch it sip past her shoulder. Hellion attacked again, a strike aimed at her legs.

April just stepped out of the way as the flames hit the ground. "You are predictable," she said with a faint smile.

Hellion, flustered, attacked again. A spark erupted from his wrist just before it was replaced with a gleaming ball of red flame. It flew at her, a glowing ball heading for her face.

It stopped mid-air in April's raised palm. She grinned at him, candy from a baby.

The whole mass of people were watching at this point. Watching their fearless leader get whooped by a supposed newbie.

April thrust the ball of flame at Hellion so fast that it knocked him onto his ass from the impact.

A smouldering hole was left in the shirt.

Hellion could only gape as April stared down at him. And then her hand was on fire as she reached down to pull Hellion back to his feet. "Do I get to know now?" She whispered in his ear.