Birds

"Musa," Mari asked picking up the teacup she had just poured for her. "I was wondering if you could do me a favour?"

Musa eyed her over the top of her cup, her delicate nose taking in a long inhalation.

Anthamusa was Jake's granddaughter. Musa stayed on the island with her husband who worked away fishing a lot of the time for the mainland. Not that he needed to work, currency wasn't a thing on the island.

Jake had lived on the island with his wife and his son, Madan. Three generations of his family had now spent their lives with Mari on Olympus, the first humans to do so in existence.

Jake had spent his time on and off the island after the war but moved on to the island full time when he met Kelly. Kelly had been kind, and Mari adored them both, but shortly after giving birth to their son Kelly passed away from a virus that had attacked her heart.

She hated to remember the years that followed her death, Jake and his sorrow filled eyes trying to raise a son that was barely five years old. Of course, he had a whole island helping to raise that son.

Jake had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease at the age of 78. One day he would forget who Madan was, and the next he would be begging for his wife, - Marielle.

In the end, she couldn't handle it. She loved him too much to see him like that, swirling down down down. Madan couldn't handle it either.

Madan had turned out to be a wonderful young man, despite having to watch his father call out for a woman he once loved that appeared to still be twenty-five. He did spend most of that time off the island, taking university classes and meeting a woman who then gave him a child as well. They didn't stay together though, only Madan and his daughter Anthamusa returned to the island. And after Madan passed away, Musa left the island for a while as well. She tried working and going to university and anything she could try to see if the island would leave her memory.

But the island was home, and Marielle was there and many of her other dear friends.

When Musa had come back to the island for good, she brought a man back with her. Dario was a wonderful man, he was kind, and his accent made Musa swoon in front of the islanders like a love-struck puppy. He was just as in love with her as she was with him. So in love that he left his home in what used to be Spain and moved to a little island in the middle of nowhere where they would grow old while the rest of the island stayed young.

But Mari loved Musa and her husband. They had wed on the island just like Jake had when he married Kelly, with Mari walking them both down the aisle.

"And I suppose it has something to do with the whispers the little birdy has been feeding me?" Musa said with a sly smile as she took a sip of her tea.

Mari scoffed, a laugh leaving her lips. Of course, Elijah had already visited her. "And what are the whispers the little do-do bird is feeding you this time?"

Musa snickered. "Mare, I'm all for bringing in the stays, but maybe you shouldn't pluck them from the sky like a falcon and a mouse."

Mari laughed again. "That's not what happened."

"Hmm," Musa said swallowing her tea. "And I'm a camel with a rhino's horn attached to my ass."