Chapter 32. Mistakes, shortcomings and failures

I woke up to the sound of Obaasan talking to another person. Most likely Ryuu. Wherever we were I could tell it was rainy from the never-ending sound of water cascading outside. My body was shivering from the chill of the weather. I put my weight on my hands and slowly got up. I felt something wet and sweaty fall into my lap and picked up the wet handkerchief that was placed on my forehead. The left of my face began throbbing, as did my chest and stomach. I hissed at the sudden, sharp pain.

"Stay put."

I froze. Ryuu was suddenly beside me. I turned my face away from Ryuu's voice and held my head low. I felt my cheeks become warm and I clenched my fists. My stomach hurt, but this pain was not as sharp as from the cut from the night at the Boss' factory, it was fluttering and made me nauseous.

"Yeah, you should be ashamed."

He was stern, as he should. I squeezed my eyes shut. I won't cry. I was expecting Ryuu to continue with his comments, but to my surprise I heard him slither away from me.

I had acted brashly. Put logic aside. Ignored my fever. Jumped into an illegal drug chute. Injured myself. Nearly gotten myself killed. Risked my own grandmother's wellbeing when she tried to rescue me.

I heard Ryuu's voice and Obaasan.

"Misayo's awake?" I heard Obaasan approach me.

How can I face her?

She stood in front of me and stopped. I could feel her gaze on me, measuring me up and down. The stillness only amplified the feeling of shame. She finally broke the silence and let out a sigh.

She crouched until she was squatting beside me.

"Face me."

I was still. I could not move.

"Misayo."

That was an order.

I turned my face towards her. I must have looked pitiful.

The speed and force of the slap stunned me to such an extent that I only registered the distinct sound of it before I felt the pain. When I did feel the pain, it burned.

"Don't ever do that again."

Those five words had Obaasan stunned. She got up and left me. When I was sure that she was outside hearing range, I let out a sob. My whole chest constricted, and I gave out. I sobbed without abandon. I had never been slapped before. My right cheek felt warmer than usual and I knew that I was marked. I was angry at my own stupidity. I was angry at Obaasan for raising her hand. I was angry at the Katana Wielder. I was angry at the fat coworker for using me as a human shield that night. I was angry that I was the reason Obaasan had to risk her life to save me.

I thought back to the night when I had been assaulted by those unfamiliar children on my way back home. The feeling of complete and utter helplessness had me covering my face. I thought of the night Uncle and our home was taken away from me in a matter of seconds. I thought of the time Shisui-san had severed my chakra in the cabin just a few days ago. The fear and panic of not being able.

The pain of being unable was so much sharper and ran so much deeper than the pain of my carved left cheek and chest and the burn of the slap on my right cheek. I decided that I would do everything in my might to never feel this again.

I will become stronger.

***

That night Obaasan helped me rinse and change the bandages that covered the cut on my left cheek and chest. I sat in silence with my grandmother. Her pulse and breathing normal. Her movements precise. Her hands did not tremble in the slightest. During meals she would eat quickly and retire early. The next four days I did not speak to Obaasan, nor she to me. We ate together. Changed my bandages together. Lived separately. Ryuu also remained unusually quiet.