Chapter 5

Flashback

Kakashi ignored the boring elevator music as he waited for the doors to open and tucked his black umbrella under his arm so he had a free hand to loosen his tie, a tired look overtaking his face. His briefcase suddenly felt like it weighed a ton and he chastised himself for leaving his phone in the office along with some important documents that he had planned on looking over during the weekend. He was halfway home when he realized his mistake and he couldn't help but sigh in annoyance.

When the silver doors of the elevator finally opened, he walked with purpose down the white hallway, his shoes tapping on the dark hardwood floor as he came to face a heavy glass door. Grabbing the brass handle he pushed it open to reveal his large executive office. In the center sat a cherry wood desk with two leather chairs in front of it for guests to sit and a high back leather swivel chair sat behind it. Off to the right side of the room was a small lounge with a serving bar for food and liquor while to the left was another door, this one with frosted glass so that no one could see in it. This room held a futon, closet, and bathroom for the long nights he sometimes pulled. Moving toward the lounge where his phone sat at the edge of the bar Kakashi paused midstep, surprised when his eyes caught sight of a figure slouching in one of the barstools. The person was dripping wet from what he could see with only the dim bar lights on that he'd forgotten to turn off when he left.

"Itachi?" Kakashi spoke, his voice laced with concern as he stared at the emotionless statue before him. The surprise at seeing the man faded as he began to understand the situation. Whenever something went wrong Itachi would call him no matter what time it was, or show up at his office, no matter how long he'd have to wait to see his sensei. Kakashi had told him when they met that he could do those things if he ever needed his help, and while it was an uncommon occurrence, it wasn't a complete surprise when he just showed up in Japan. On rare occasions Itachi would break down completely like this, ignoring his own well-being while his mind spiraled into worry and fear, and when this happened he would invariably find his way to Kakashi, who knew without a doubt that it always had something to do with Itachi's father, Fugaku. Still, this time was different. This time he seemed completely and utterly devastated, as though he were marked for death.

Without saying a word, Kakashi left to the side room and came back with a clean black and red kimono along with some sandals from his closet. He kept the clothes there for when he stayed overnight for board meetings with other countries that went long or when he was simply too tired to drive home, yet needed to look presentable the next day. Kakashi rested a hand on Itachi's shoulder and handed him the items, gesturing towards the bathroom as he did so.

"I'll make us some tea." He smiled gently as the raven left to clean up and, hopefully, calm down.

Itachi had always viewed Kakashi as the father he'd always wanted. He was someone who would listen when he talked, no matter how trivial or serious the matter. Giving good advice as he tried to help, not because Itachi was technically higher up the food chain than him, but because he honestly wanted the man to succeed in life and follow his own path. His actual father never listened, just steamrolled through as though he assumed his son's thoughts and ideas were childish and meant to be ignored. Itachi went to Kakashi to talk out his frustrations and brainstorm practical solutions, while Fugaku was the man he reported to, nothing more.

Sadly, this time was different. Itachi felt wrong on the inside, broken. He had always tried to appease his father's impossible demands. Working hard and diligently to perfect his skills throughout the years. Trying desperately to be the perfect son. Fugaku was a man focused solely on the prestigious Uchiha name, mainstreaming more pressure onto his eldest son, which Itachi accepted so as to protect his younger brother.

After taking a nice hot shower, Itachi emerged in the clothes he'd been given, though they were just slightly big on him considering Kakashi was an inch taller than the Uchiha. The CEO placed a tray of tea on the edge of his desk, the white china cups clinking as he set it down to reveal there were also two plates of nasu nibitashi on it. Itachi rubbed a towel through his long hair as he walking over and collapsed into one of the leather seats, the white towel falling to rest on his shoulders. They sat in silence in the chairs in front of the desk, slowly chewing their food and sipping their tea, Kakashi's patience showing as he made no move to try and start the inevitable conversation.

"Father has been pressing for an heir." Itachi sighed, wishing more than anything that the man across from his were his actual father. Wishing more than anything that he could have a father who valued him as a person rather than a pawn in a long and fruitless corporate game. "He has threatened an arranged marriage if I do not claim a woman within the year." He set his chopsticks down, sighing again at the suffocating position he was being placed in. Then he lifted his head to meet Kakashi's gaze, "I refuse." He spoke with finality, making sure the other man knew that, whatever solution they came up with, giving in was not an option he was open to.

Kakashi understood the dilemma that Itachi was struggling with, the only difference between their situations was that Fugaku wasn't related to him and had accepted his relationship with Iruka, but this was the man's son, and he wanted the family name to be passed on in the "traditional" sense. He'd wanted Itachi to deny who he was from the moment he'd found out, and so he gave the final ultimatum, marriage to a woman he knew, or one he didn't. After a heavy sigh, Kakashi met his gaze with a conspiratory smile tugging at this lips.

"Then it's time for me to retire and for you to stay here in Japan as CEO." He affirmed as Itachi's face turned to one of confusion. "Your father would never impose on you so much as CEO, you can use your position as leverage, especially knowing all his years of investment in his eldest protégé would be for not should he force his hand. Being thousands of miles apart won't hurt either." Itachi nodded as the desperate look in his eyes faded with a feasible solution on the horizon. His father's love for the corporation and all the hard work that he's invested in Itachi so as to eventually take over would all be for nothing if Itachi threatened to resign and give it all up if forced into marriage.

Kakashi smirked at Itachi as though the Uchiha had just won a very long and hard-fought game, then held up his teacup and stated, "Congratulations to our new CEO!"

Two months later Itachi permanently moved to Japan.

End of Flashback

The waiting room was filled with people and the hospital was in complete chaos as the storm took its toll. The news was on display on a television as they spoke of the severity of the tempest, though the sound was drowned out by conversations, complaining patients and worried adults. Meaning the only way to understand what was being said was to read the subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Kakashi stood in the middle of it all and rubbed his forehead, overwhelmed with anxiety as he clutched his phone in his pocket. Knowing Naruto had to turn his phone off at work. Knowing he couldn't call his son for answers, yet still hoping against hope that the device would ring after the numerous messages he'd left the blonde.

"Sir. Sir!" The voice pulled him from his thoughts, bringing his attention to a young woman with red hair, green eyes, and a pale purple uniform. A nurse from the ICU. "I can take you back now, Mr. Hatake." She spoke softly, as if she knew just how out of his mind with worry the man was. Kakashi nodded and walked behind her out of the waiting area.