Fifteen Minutes To Heaven

Liam jumped on her chest and she let out a sharp expulsion of air.

"You furry, little monster." She said, sitting up from her reclining position on Tina's sofa and tackling the toddler to the other side of the plush fabric.

He giggled furiously and kicked at her arms, protesting against her tickling fingers.

Tina walked in from the kitchen holding a bowl of mushy carrots and peas, and laughed at the display.

"Hey. Look at mama, Liam." Rachael said, drawing his attention to his mum.

Once he caught sight of her, he shot out from the chair and clambered over to her feet, reaching for his food. Tina swung him unto her hip and sat down next to Rachael, beginning to spoon pieces of vegetable into his mouth until he grabbed for it and decided he was in the mood to feed himself.

"Sorry, where were we?" Tina asked Rachael, who perked up at the question.

"Oh yeah, my mum." She said. "So, I decided to rip the proverbial band-aid off, so to speak, and outright tell her I was joining your pack."

"Let me guess, she wasn't happy?"

Rachael shook her head, "honestly, I thought she would be mad but I think she kind of knew it was coming. She did cry a little though."

"Ouch. I don't think I've ever heard my mum cry."

Rachael humphed. "Lucky you. My mum cries over everything." She changed the subject. "Are you dropping Liam at his grandma's house before the party?"

"Nah. Graham will be home in like ten minutes." Tina glanced at her friend and frowned. "Sorry, I forgot to say, if you'll be needing a lift home, is it okay if we leave the party around ten or eleven? I really want to enter the new year with my boys."

Rachael saw the way Tina turned to gaze at her son and her heart squeezed in her chest. "Absolutely. I totally understand."

Tina seemed to really look at Rachael then, and her scent turned sympathetic. "You're welcome to stay with us tonight. You don't have to go into the new year alone."

Rachael was grateful for her friend's offer but also didn't want to feel that pity being aimed toward her.

"Nah," she drawled, brushing off her friend's concerns. "Eleven o'clock is the perfect time for me to be in bed."

Tina's scent didn't lose the tinge of sympathy but it did tone down a notch. "Even Liam's granny stays up past eleven, Rach. Do better why don't you."

Rachael swatted at her arm but couldn't stop the smile coming from her silly joke.

---

"I'll be back later tonight. Love you, baby."

Tina gave Graham a kiss and he tapped her butt in return, sticking his tongue out at Rachael when she pretended to gag.

The two girls, dressed in similar black dresses, walked to Tina's car, the sound of their heels crunching against the gravel driveway. Hopping in, Tina started up the car and cranked up the heat, proceeding to slide out of her coat and fling it into the back seat.

"Trust me when I say Alexa's house is always five degrees too hot. You'll only need that coat for walking in and out."

Rachael noted Tina's warning and took her coat off too, haphazardly dashing it behind her. She smoothed a hand over the flared skirt of her dress and put her seat belt on.

They drove for a bit before pulling up into the driveway of a modest two story house. Unlike Tina's, it was detached, the fence that lead around the back of the house left open for her expected visitors.